• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Australia Hates Fags

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia Hates Fags

Should they do that here?

BBC News - Australia cigarette plain packaging law upheld by court
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Smoking is dying out in metropolitan Oz. Most people don't smoke now. Exercise is common.

I was in the UK recently and all my pals still smoke and don't exercise.

Comment

Smoking has been vastly reduced in the UK and I was over the moon when they banned it in pubs and restaurants etc, thing I wonder is when will it stop? It has already been proven that the tax from cigarettes more than pays for any treatment of the associated diseases it causes.

It comes down to free choice I guess if people want to smoke then let them that's not to say we shouldn't discourage the younger generation from smoking. Then again I wonder how long it will be before these measures are extended to alcohol and then certain food types
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Always amzes me the strength of the tobacco lobby. Imagine in Nurofen was discovered to have 1/100th of the side effects. It would be taken from the shelves immediately.

Look at Germany when they thought a cucumber could give you ecoli...didn't stop them smoking.

The problem is that's its not instant - want people to stop smoking, put a cyanide ciggie in every 100,000 packet - see who'll risk it then.

Could also make an interesting spectator sport.
        Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Started a thread on this a while back. http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...packaging.html

Some of the packaging so clearly markets certain impressionable groups, I think this is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
            Smoking is dying out in metropolitan Oz. Most people don't smoke now. Exercise is common.

I was in the UK recently and all my pals still smoke and don't exercise.
            And that's why we have a Tour de France winner and Oz doesn't

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              And that's why we have a Tour de France winner and Oz doesn't

Brilliant! I bet he snaps the filter off..

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                Brilliant! I bet he snaps the filter off..
                I think that might be a spliff. Lots of athletes enjoy a spliff from time to time and it's up to them; relaxation's important after lots of tough training and competition, and if it's just occasional then fine. Not much different to the occasional drinky in that respect.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I think that might be a spliff. Lots of athletes enjoy a spliff from time to time and it's up to them; relaxation's important after lots of tough training and competition, and if it's just occasional then fine. Not much different to the occasional drinky in that respect.
                  Does it not show up on their tests? Or is it not a banned substance?

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    Does it not show up on their tests? Or is it not a banned substance?
                    Yes, but it's only prohibited 'in competition'. In other words, you aren't allowed to use 'cannabinoids' during a race or competition.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X