• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life imprisonment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life imprisonment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/5063856.stm

Savage knifing man gets life term

A man who stabbed a woman nearly 30 times has been sentenced to life in prison by a court.

Mark Antony Oldfield, 32, from Devizes, Wiltshire, knifed ex-girlfriend Hayley Cooper 28 times, near Salisbury, on 14 September last year.

Salisbury Crown Court heard how Miss Cooper, 23, had to undergo life-saving surgery after the attack.

The sentence passed means Oldfield is subject to lifetime parole but he could be out of jail in as little as two years, the court heard.

Eh? WTF?

Life imprisonment = 2 years????

You'd get more than that for not paying your VAT on time............

Good grief.

The guy stabbed her 28 times and did not manage to kill her?
    What a loser!!

I foresee a career for him in Social Services somewhere, probably working with challenging teenagers.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Eligible for parole <> released on parole.

They won't let him out for a long time. Bit like the hoo-haa about the 16 year tariff for that child rapist yesterday. The Daily Mail was throwing its arms up in the air and saying "he'll be out in 8". Will he hell. As the head of the parole service said on a Radio 4 interview yesterday, "the likelihood of a parole board approving this man's release EVER, never mind in eight years' time, is virtually nil".

Comment

but it does happen.

when I was a kid a friend was murdered, the sicko was on the streets 18 months later
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

You may be right Mr Rusty Dalek, but I am sure in such cases most would prefer rather more certainty.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/5063856.stm

Savage knifing man gets life term

A man who stabbed a woman nearly 30 times has been sentenced to life in prison by a court.

Mark Antony Oldfield, 32, from Devizes, Wiltshire, knifed ex-girlfriend Hayley Cooper 28 times, near Salisbury, on 14 September last year.

Salisbury Crown Court heard how Miss Cooper, 23, had to undergo life-saving surgery after the attack.

The sentence passed means Oldfield is subject to lifetime parole but he could be out of jail in as little as two years, the court heard.

Eh? WTF?

Life imprisonment = 2 years????

Good grief.
            What you are forgetting - because you read too many tabloids and watch too much daytime TV - is that the guy will have to serve at least two years of his "Life" sentence before he is eligable to apply for parole. It does not necessarily follow that he will gain parole when he applies. If he is released, he'll be released on warrant, which means, the slightest breach in his terms of release will mean <SLAM> back inside!

FFS, think for yourself instead of leaping at headlines - you're supposed to be a computer contractor, you're supposed to be able to think for yourself.

Now, where were we?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
              FFS, think for yourself instead of leaping at headlines - you're supposed to be a computer contractor, you're supposed to be able to think for yourself.
              Errr, scuse me comrade, but nowhere in my contract does it include thinking.

Comment

28 times!? What was he using, one of those krappy plastic knives they give out on planes. What a chump.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalek Supreme
                  Eligible for parole <> released on parole.
                  But I bet that if he wasn't released on parole he'd sue for breach of his human rights.

It's only fair

Comment

Not true DP, lets keep a sense of proportion.

VAT late payment penalties are now set a minimum of a week inside an Iron Coffin , two offences gets you an Iron Coffin with spikes on the inside.

Its only fair.

Comment

Working...
                    X