• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Client Co is the Worst

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Client Co is the Worst

In a similar vein to other CUKers airing their grievances about their particular Client Co's I feel I've been driven to enter the fray by a message I've just received in my inbox this morning.

The message was entitled You have just incurred a kitchen etiquette violation and the body of the message goes on to explain that I left my coffee mug on the drainer in the pantry last night rather than putting it back in the cupboard. The message informs me that the accrual of 3 violations will result in my disqualification from using the coffee making facilities for a period of one month.

Has anyone ever seen anything quite so petty?

Mind you, this is an environment where mobile phones have to be switched off, chatter is discouraged and toilet breaks are initiated by the starting of a desktop mounted stopwatch such that the whole room is aware of exactly how long you have been absent.

As you can imagine, the permies at this place are a downtrodden lot. This is best exemplified by an occurrence that takes place every afternoon around 3 o' clock. The silence is broken by a little voice from the corner of the room - "Would anyone like a drink of water?" This is received with much enthusiasm, comments such as "wow, nice one", "you're a real star" are typical and when our water carrier returns he is greeted with whoops of joy and hi fives all round.

The fact that the offer of a glass of water is the highlight of the day says it all really.
    Last edited by Malcolm Buggeridge; 17 August 2012, 10:37.

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    In a similar vein to other CUKers airing their grievances about their particular Client Co's I feel I've been driven to enter the fray by a message I've just received in my inbox this morning.

The message was entitled You have just incurred a kitchen etiquette violation and the body of the message goes on to explain that I left my coffee mug on the drainer in the pantry last night rather than putting it back in the cupboard. The message goes on to explain that the accrual of 3 violations will result in my disqualification from using the coffee making facilities for a period of one month.

Mind you, this is an environment where mobile phones have to be switched off, chatter is discouraged and toilet breaks are initiated by the starting of a desktop mounted stopwatch such that the whole room is aware of exactly how long you have been absent.

As you can imagine, the permies at this place are a downtrodden lot. This is best exemplified by an occurrence that takes place every afternoon around 3 o' clock. The silence is broken by a little voice from the corner of the room - "Would anyone like a drink of water?" This is received with much enthusiasm, comments such as "wow, nice one", "you're a real star" are typical and when our water carrier returns he is greeted with whoops of joy and hi fives all round.

The fact that the offer of a glass of water is the highlight of the day says it all really.
    Jesus, I thought mine was bad...maybe you should find out how many violation points tulipting in the sink will bring?

Comment

Originally posted by louie View Post
      Jesus, I thought mine was bad...maybe you should find out how many violation points tulipting in the sink will bring?
      We're not allowed to do that at my clientco either.

The world seems to be filling up with petty rules and regulations, aka 'red tape', presumably in the name of health and safety. Or equal opportunities perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        We're not allowed to do that at my clientco either.

The world seems to be filling up with petty rules and regulations, aka 'red tape', presumably in the name of health and safety. Or equal opportunities perhaps.
        Not to mention having to keep to the left on the stairwell!

Comment

The message was entitled You have just incurred a kitchen etiquette violation and the body of the message goes on to explain that I left my coffee mug on the drainer in the pantry last night rather than putting it back in the cupboard. The message informs me that the accrual of 3 violations will result in my disqualification from using the coffee making facilities for a period of one month.

Ok you win, I don't think anyone will top that!

Get out! get out now!
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

that sounds almost exactly like my stint at Independent Insurance back in 2001.

They did me a favour by going bust.
            Gronda Gronda

Comment

Maybe if people were grown up enough to keep kitchen areas clean there wouldn't be a need for what you deem as "petty" rules.

Comment

That would be an improvement compared to my clientco. The kitchen is filthy, spilt coffee granules, crumbs, stalactites of food hanging from the microwave . You open the fridge and u have to hold your breath not to gag on the stink from it. I started having a lot of diarrhoea and all I was having was a few cups of tea out of that kitchen.

So I stopped eating or drinking anything from it, and took bottles of water in and not had a problem since.

So sometimes the kitchen police would be an improvement over dysentery.

Comment

Not to mention having to keep to the left on the stairwell!
                  If it's any consolation, keeping to the correct side when perambulating, whether on stairs, corridors or footpaths, is even more ingrained in Germany. I once terrified some German people whom I was approaching on the 'wrong' side, they didn't seem to know what to do to avoid a head-on collision.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    If it's any consolation, keeping to the correct side when perambulating, whether on stairs, corridors or footpaths, is even more ingrained in Germany. I once terrified some German people whom I was approaching on the 'wrong' side, they didn't seem to know what to do to avoid a head-on collision.
                    Women in England all keep to the right while walking, thats assuming they dont veer in front of you at the last second.

Comment

Working...
                    X