• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thoughts on getting Euros over here or use ATM abroad...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on getting Euros over here or use ATM abroad...

As title suggests, I'm away this weekend over to France for a few days and was wondering whether anyone knows if it's better to get currency over here via Travel Agent / PO etc or just draw it from the ATM over there.

These days, there are no high charges made by the banks for doing this and the exchange rates are usually quite favourable, often better than the PO / TA or so I beleive.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Just out of ease I would use post office personally. The rates difference is so small I can't believe it would make a difference for the amounts you are talking about and I CBA with the hassle of finding ATM, card not working, not getting charged etc. Post office, get Euros, in wallet and holiday here I come for me.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Interesting thread here if you are going to travel a lot and can be bothered reading it...

Cheap Travel Money: Top cards for spending abroad...
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
        As title suggests, I'm away this weekend over to France for a few days and was wondering whether anyone knows if it's better to get currency over here via Travel Agent / PO etc or just draw it from the ATM over there.

These days, there are no high charges made by the banks for doing this and the exchange rates are usually quite favourable, often better than the PO / TA or so I beleive.

Any suggestions?

TIA
        Having worked in the Credit \ Debit \ Charge Card industry a lot, you'll get stiffed for high charges if using an ATM abroad especially a credit card to withdraw money. Should have got a Euro pre paid travel card which is the best option.

I'd recommend getting your euros before leaving the UK. Just my thoughts.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          I'd recommend getting your euros before leaving the UK. Just my thoughts.
          I no longer do it that way around since I'm already abroad, but I found that UK banks have a bigger buy/sell spread than European ones.

If I need Sterling for the UK I change it here.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Metro bank offer both debit and credit mastercards that have no charges when used abroad - they use the mastercard FX rates. The credit card also can be used to withdraw cash without interest and/or a charge being applied immediately - never seen this before on a credit card.

Worth having a look into - https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post

Any suggestions?

TIA
              The best advice used to be use a Maestro card when abroad as then the ATM's were free...Maestro is no more and having just come back from Spain I can see the transaction charges for cash withdraws Also annoying is the transaction fees incurred on purchases abroad - having bought several high value items in the States earlier this year - these really add up so I am also looking at:

northernladuk

Interesting thread here if you are going to travel a lot and can be bothered reading it...

Cheap Travel Money: Top cards for spending abroad...
              The best advice is take cash where possible
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Halifax Clarity card for me.

Free to use at ATMs, including abroad.

Halifax | Credit Cards | Low rate & No Fee Cards | Clarity Credit Card
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Working...
                X