• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC Domesday project

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Domesday project

I think it was on this forum that the Domesday project was mentioned, rather than bigbosumsRus.com...

Anyway, I found this site the other day...

http://www.atsf.co.uk/dottext/domesday.html

Which is mildy interesting if you're into totally obsolete hardwarey type stuff.

And parchment.

Neat that the original Domesday thingy is still readable, although in Latin, while the 1986 version is nearly totally inaccessible*.

(* ible/able delete where appropriate ).

I have a non working copy of the 1986 version on a pile of 12" laserdiscs complete with BBC master and broken LV player I should get around to sorting it out at some point as it's worth a small fortune.

As for the proprietary format, the LVROM FS is basically ADFS with larger block sizes and a bigger FAT. The video/image portion is standard LaserDisc format. It's easy to get it back - it just requires some time and thought.

Don't forget that in it's day, it was a VERY advanced system, years ahead of anything else so they had to use proprietary formats to store the data. There were no open standards available that could have done the job.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
    X