• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Career Break and HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career Break and HMRC

Hi, I am working at a reputed company (with 5000 employees) since 4 years. Due to some professional reasons, I have decided to take one year career break. During this time I want to go and work in a different company on a contract basis for 8 months. I have couple of questions. Can you please advice me?

1) Can I work as a contractor?
    2) What is about HMRC? As I am not getting the P45, who am I going to my pay tax?
    3) What happens to my NI contribution?

Many thanks,

1) Nope
    2) See 1
    3) See 1

Have a good day.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

1. If you're real, then read the first timers' guides.
      2. If not, then I cordially introduce you to General.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        Unlucky. If the company you'd been working for >7500 employees then you could have worked as a contractor. If you're with someone like Accenture/Tata etc you can also get free training & dental car.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Unlucky. If the company you'd been working for >7500 employees then you could have worked as a contractor. If you're with someone like Accenture/Tata etc you can also get free training & dental car.
          what's dental car ?

Is that a big shiny white car ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            what's dental car ?

Is that a big shiny white car ?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                Has the trust situation with sockies really got so bad now that when a brand new FM asks their first question in the Professional Forums, they get thrown to the 'wits' of General as a first resort?

Career breaks are fairly common in the Public Sector and in large companies, and you can work elsewhere in any capacity you like when you take one. E.g., Howard Webb is on a five year career break from his job with South Yorkshire Police, and works as a referee for the FA. Another officer I've heard of runs a Newsagents. I therefore can't see that there would be anything to stop you from working as a contractor, if you wanted to and if the opportunity were available to do so.

You should have a P45 from the employer you're on a break from. If you don't, ask your HR dept for one. If you're going back in as little as a year, you may want to consider using a brolly (Umbrella Company) rather than forming your own Ltd. Guides to doing this are on the right. ->

If you work through a Ltd, you'll pay taxes to HMRC via your personal tax return and your company's tax return. I've never worked through a brolly myself, but as I understand it if you go down that route it's much like being an employee. The guides on the right should give you better information if you decide to go that route.

Good luck,
                G.

Comment

Originally posted by rabey View Post
                  Hi, I am working at a reputed company (with 5000 employees) since 4 years. Due to some professional reasons, I have decided to take one year career break. During this time I want to go and work in a different company on a contract basis for 8 months. I have couple of questions. Can you please advice me?

2) What is about HMRC? As I am not getting the P45, who am I going to my pay tax?

Many thanks,
                  Does the company you work for provide you with a visa to work in the UK?
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by rabey View Post

Many thanks,
                    1) Yes, if your employer agrees.
                    2) You ltdco will pay your tax, or your umbrella company, out of your (or rather your company's) gross income. A p45 is just declaration of how much tax you've paid for the year. You don't need it.
                    3)You pay your NI contributions - employers and employees - out of your (or rather your company's) gross income.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X