• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Update on the SY Gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on the SY Gig

The Bob's are at it again. This time the unanticipated second round of SIT has just passed with glowing colours. I caught wind of one of the test scenarios passed even though it failed to update the database succesfully.

Actually it smelled bad from a distance. "It updated most of the records successfully, so technically it mostly worked"

I had to ask the question. "You guys wrap your multistep database commands in logical transactions, right?"

"What do you mean?"

Oh FFS.

After having spent around 45 minutes explaining to the dumbfounded Bob what a database transaction was, he then said SAP doesn't have them. It turns out my reply was not terribly PC when I belly laughed the word "Bulltulip" out.

Now I'm not any sort of SAP guy, but a quick google took me to a wikipedia page that listed "Logical Work Units" in SAP, and they sounded, smelt and tasted like transactions to me.

So on the one side we have all our legacy apps asking for stuff to be put into SAP and being told it happened successfully, on the other hand we have SAP doing partial database updates. And SAP is the 12 million pound consolidated reporting tool that should give them one source of truth.

You could not make this stuff up. Now the head of the SAP team is on the war path saying we are criticising their work without facts or reasons.

The thing is, if everyone would just stop huffing and puffing for a minute, we could actually get on with fixing the problem, and this time next week it would all be ancient history, and their coders would be a little bit wiser.

Ho, hum.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    The Bob's are at it again. This time the unanticipated second round of SIT has just passed with glowing colours. I caught wind of one of the test scenarios passed even though it failed to update the database succesfully.
    That means it failed. Send it back, I would.

Oh, and make sure that they're not just updating one record n number of times as I've seen once...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Look at me, look at me, I know something... hang on, yes, nurse, change it now - plenty of talcum powder, thanks, yes that's much better... ooh, ooh, ooh, please, me, me, me, nurse it needs changing again... I'm so excited...
      FTFY

Comment

What's a "multi step database command" Suity?

"multi-step database command" - Google Search

What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I picked up a branch this week that a bunch of offshore peeps had been working on, when I found the tests were failing I told them to sort it out, they deleted the tests.

To be honest I'm past caring.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            What's a "multi step database command" Suity?

"multi-step database command" - Google Search

Quite. Classic pedantry. Swap the word command for operation and you should feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              I picked up a branch this week that a bunch of offshore peeps had been working on, when I found the tests were failing I told them to sort it out, they deleted the tests.

To be honest I'm past caring.
              That's it! That's the way!! Make sure you have told them on record, and that you have the evidence of the tests that have been deleted, and find the right time to casually mention it at the team meeting and get it minuted then step back.

The thing about Rome burning is that it brings the tulips out early.

Comment

Actually it smelled bad from a distance. "It updated most of the records successfully, so technically it mostly worked"

I had to ask the question. "You guys wrap your multistep database commands in logical transactions, right?"

"What do you mean?"

Oh FFS.

After having spent around 45 minutes explaining to the dumbfounded Bob what a database transaction was, he then said SAP doesn't have them. It turns out my reply was not terribly PC when I belly laughed the word "Bulltulip" out.

Now I'm not any sort of SAP guy, but a quick google took me to a wikipedia page that listed "Logical Work Units" in SAP, and they sounded, smelt and tasted like transactions to me.

So on the one side we have all our legacy apps asking for stuff to be put into SAP and being told it happened successfully, on the other hand we have SAP doing partial database updates. And SAP is the 12 million pound consolidated reporting tool that should give them one source of truth.

You could not make this stuff up. Now the head of the SAP team is on the war path saying we are criticising their work without facts or reasons.

The thing is, if everyone would just stop huffing and puffing for a minute, we could actually get on with fixing the problem, and this time next week it would all be ancient history, and their coders would be a little bit wiser.

Ho, hum.
                I told you that you needed a reconciliation process to prove the migration. You told me I was a "bell end" I think.

You like to talk a lot but when it comes down to it, your head is too far up your own arse to deliver anything.

Come on, admit it... You've never delivered anything substantial on time have you?

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                  I told you that you needed a reconciliation process to prove the migration. You told me I was a "bell end" I think.

You like to talk a lot but when it comes down to it, your head is too far up your own arse to deliver anything.

Come on, admit it... You've never delivered anything substantial on time have you?
                  This has nothing to do with the data migration, at all. So your bellend tag is safe.

Comment

This has nothing to do with the data migration, at all. So your bellend tag is safe.
                    Yeah right mate, who are you trying to kid. Your migration fell on its arse.

Comment

Working...
                    X