• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Honours System; does anybody ever read CVs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Honours System; does anybody ever read CVs?

Graham Taylor's now on about the honours for the British athletes and it turns out he's on the honours committee. So we have a man whose greatest sporting victory was winning the 'Lincolnshire Senior Cup' judging over the likes of Pendleton, Trott, Ennis, Farah et al who, unlike him have won at the very highest level. Did anyone read his CV before appointing him to the honours committee? Does anyone ever read a CV before appointing someone? Shall I stick it in my CV somewhere that I was a failed England football manager for a while in the 90s, just to see if anyone notices?

Graham Taylor says British medallists to miss out on honours - Telegraph
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Surely it's up to the queen, in which case now would be a good time for her to say "shut up you silly little man, I'm the queen and I can honour whomever I bloody well choose"
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Surely it's up to the queen, in which case now would be a good time for her to say "shut up you silly little man, one is the queen and one can honour whomever one bloody well choose"
      FTFY
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Graham Taylor's now on about the honours for the British athletes ...Did anyone read his CV before appointing him to the honours committee? Does anyone ever read a CV before appointing someone?
        I've noticed a trend that some companies are now unashamedly using the sort of automated CV filtering tools that have been openly laughed at for years. (You know, the ones that have an automated search for 'keywords' such as "Java" and "VB", and that automagically select those stellar candidates that have mentioned "JavaScript" and "VB5" a million times in rambling, run-on sentences, rather than the J2EE and VB.Net guru they were looking for).

I suspect that something similar has happened in this case. They've set the keywords to "Champion" and "Manager", and he's floated to the top of the pile with all those Championship-grade teams he's managed and European Championships he's lost. Perhaps they should try a "-Turnip" modifier next time around?

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Surely it's up to the queen, in which case now would be a good time for her to say "shut up you silly little man, I'm the queen and I can honour whomever I bloody well choose"
          I thought the queen had to do as she was told these days?

Comment

I haven't got a problem with Graham Taylor being on the honours committee.

His CV isn't bad. He has 30 years experience at all levels of his sport, did well managing unfashionable teams (he got Watford and Aston Villa to runners-up in the top division), and although he didn't win the world cup or euros internationally, no other living British person has done that either.

But just as importantly for his suitability for the honours job, he's a reasonable down-to-earth bloke, good with people, and fairly intelligent.

Comment

Working...
            X