• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time benched; does the wanking ever stop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time benched; does the wanking ever stop?

This being benched lark is really starting to grate on me. Been without a contract since June. I now feel like re-writing the Jobserve interface for free just to be shot of it.

That Mitchell and Webb Look - Working from home

On paper, the concept of being at home living off of your warchest sounds almost seductive. However, I'm finding the reality a bit of a let down. Spending all day chasing lazy arsed agents wasn't part of the plan. Oh well...

Tips on avoiding an over developed right fore arm?
    Wibble

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Cr1spy View Post
      This being benched lark is really starting to grate on me. Been without a contract since June. I now feel like re-writing the Jobserve interface for free just to be shot of it.

On paper, the concept of being at home living off of your warchest sounds almost seductive. However, I'm finding the reality a bit of a let down. Spending all day chasing lazy arsed agents wasn't part of the plan. Oh well...

First you need a plan.
      A bit late for you, maybe next time.

For me the world of contracting is in cycles, each country has it's own cycle.
      If you are in the UK you should the cycles. You are wasting your time looking for work if you are not in the hiring cycle. Go on holiday, do some training etc.
      The trick is not to finish a contract at the wrong time.
      I have refused extentions in the past as it would leave me looking for a new contract at the wrong time.

The market should pick-up in September, take a break until then if you can.

HTH
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Switch hands occasionally for an all over workout
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Try having sex with the wife? Yours obviously...

Comment

Watch Shame

It does for wanking what Leaving Las Vegas does for booze
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Go to the gym, go get buff... at least it might tire you out for a while

On a serious note, my first benched time was awful, I didn't like it at all and just couldn't relax. This time round, was benched for 4 weeks, had a great time! Got all the things done in the house I wanted to, lost a few lbs (see gym recommendation) and taught myself how to bake bread. I may be sad, but it was my version of a nice, relaxing time.

Keep plugging away and find a routine. Sleep in, lazy breakfast, applications, household chores, tv, lunch, walk to the gym, workout, walk home, eat, check messages, applications, make tea. Happy days!

Was my first day back today, all i could think about was "I wonder what Gino is cooking on Gino and Mel right about now..."

Comment

Originally posted by Kelstar View Post
                Was my first day back today, all i could think about was "I wonder what Gino is cooking on Gino and Mel right about now..."
                One of my daytime TV favourites as well love.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                  First you need a plan.
                  A bit late for you, maybe next time.

For me the world of contracting is in cycles, each country has it's own cycle.
                  If you are in the UK you should the cycles. You are wasting your time looking for work if you are not in the hiring cycle. Go on holiday, do some training etc.
                  The trick is not to finish a contract at the wrong time.
                  I have refused extentions in the past as it would leave me looking for a new contract at the wrong time.

The market should pick-up in September, take a break until then if you can.

HTH
                  WHS

Most people in the UK are on holiday now and any project that wants someone to start immediately usually (not always) has issues.

Just apply and don't chase agents. They will contact you if you fit the hiring managers criteria and when the role goes live. My current and last contract were with agents I spoke to, who then contacted me a few months later.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Switch hands occasionally for an all over workout
                    Left hand inverted.. it helps with the rhythm

Comment

Working...
                    X