• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Millions about to be wasted on new Government Database

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Millions about to be wasted on new Government Database

New computer database launched to track down 150,000 illegal immigrants in Britain
    The project is to launch next month to deal with the huge backlog of foreign nationals who have overstayed their student or temporary work visas
    • Private companies are currently tendering for the contract
    • A third of immigrants decide to overstay their visa when it expires
    • The Border Agency currently has a backlog of 276,000 immigration cases

Link How long..how much

I wonder if Bob will get the work.... if not fill yer boots as it will run & run
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Can we not just have one database with a flag for migration status?

Comment

Why not just have one massive database that tracks everyone and anyone!
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        You are the bastard child of David.Blunkett and Larry Ellison

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          that updates most of the records successfully and uses logical transactions for multistep database commands ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            that updates most of the records successfully and uses logical transactions for multistep database commands ?
            But its cheaper that way.

Comment

Why not take the budget / number of over stayers. Then offer them the money to go home.

Problem solved.

HTH
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                Why not take the budget / number of over stayers. Then offer them the money to go home.

Problem solved.

HTH
                There is already provision in law and money available to offer payment for repatriation.

Comment

10k bond

if they dont leave they lose it and money is used to root them out

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Can we not just have one database with a flag for migration status?
                    Don't be silly. If you have an extra database on top all the existing DBs, you get more data redundancy and more complexity in managing it all. Build it, plug it in, stir it with some more data and a few bugs that won't be caught in testing by the CrapGeminiLogicackcidenture Bobs, leave to fester and in a couple of years time there'll be contracts going for 10 new databases just to store all the 'known unknowns' and 'unknown unknowns'.

Now I'm not sure if the meejah and the politicians concerned actually know what a 'database' is, but that's besides the point. Good news for contractors, and strangely it's good news for civil libertarians; no government will ever give up its database fetish, so why not put up with second best; data that's so inaccurate and inconsistent that it's of no use whatsoever.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X