• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Afternoon Tea in Shaftesbury

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon Tea in Shaftesbury

A gentle perambulation down the mellow cobbles of Gold Hill, Shaftesbury and a not so gentle climb back to the top, where the straining tables of Old Shaston awaited Buggeridge and wife in dire need of refreshment, form the first instalment of a series of visits to local tearooms.

Before I go into detail about the delectable gastronomic delights in which we indulged, a few words about Gold Hill.

Gold Hill served as the setting for that Hovis advert featuring the young boy pushing his bike up the hill to the strains of Dvorak's Symphony No. 9, better known to you and I as the New World Symphony. The advert, incidentally, was directed by one Ridley Scott.

Interestingly, its appellation of Gold Hill has nothing to do with the trading of gold nor the fashioning of trinquets made thereof in the establishments that flank its winding thoroughfare but to a ritual humiliation dating back to medieval times known as the Skimmington Ride in which adulterers and adulteresses would be stripped naked, painted gold and sat backwards on donkeys before being paraded through the streets to the jeers of the onlooking mob.

Anyway, we both settled down in our seats in King Alfred's kitchen and found ourselves spoiled for choice by the veritable smorgasbord of country fayre on offer. I opted for the Somerset Cream Tea; delicious with a nice yellow crust on the clotted cream and the scones were marvellous. The wife opted for the savoury cream tea; Cheese scones with somerset cheddar and green tomato chutney. We both shared a pot of Lady Grey tea.

This was all served to us by a rosey cheeked young slip of a thing in a gingham outfit who looked like she had stepped off the pages of a Hardy novel; her name was Svetlana. A sign of the times I suppose but the service was excellent and I rounded off our visit by tipping her handsomely in the lobby while the wife wasn't looking.

A very well written, novelesque and informative post complimenting a wonderful feeling of settling down to a warm embrace of a comforting supper in twilight, Sir.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
      A sign of the times I suppose but the service was excellent and I rounded off our visit by tupping her handsomely in the lobby while the wife wasn't looking.
      Shurely...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Anyway, we both settled down in our seats in King Alfred's kitchen and found ourselves spoiled for choice by the veritable smorgasbord of country fayre on offer. I opted for the Somerset Cream Tea; delicious with a nice yellow crust on the clotted cream and the scones were marvellous. The wife opted for the savoury cream tea; Cheese scones with somerset cheddar and green tomato chutney. We both shared a pot of Lady Grey tea.
        You've been reading too much "Michael Winner".

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
          You've been reading too much "Michael Winner".
          You can rest assured it was an historic occassion

Comment

You can rest assured it was an historic occassion
            I can rest assured whether you post your sh!te or you don't.

Whom is it you are wishing to edify?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              I can rest assured whether you post your sh!te or you don't.

Whom is it you are wishing to edify?
              You are a very angry man.

Do you suffer from IBS perchance?

Comment

No, but Spod does get irritated by arseholes quite easily.

Comment

Angry? Nope.

IBS? Nope.

W4nker intolerance, oh yes.

Comment

“Last on my round was Old Ma Peggotty’s house. ’Twas like taking bread to the top of the world.”
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X