• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how can a senior experience IT pro get into IB

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how can a senior experience IT pro get into IB

hi

what are hiring criteria for investment bank contracts?
    how can someone senior but with no financal experience get into IB?

i undrestand sybase is commonly used rdbms platform , will it help if i pass sybase exams?
    my current employer doesnt use sybase so cant get my hands on it.

thanks

Originally posted by calacik View Post
    hi

Knowledge & experience.

Senior what?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Firstly you need to have the skills they need.

Secondly and possibly more important than number 1 is to get off your arris and apply for some roles.

Sybase, SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, all similar and they understand that. Unless you are applying for a DBA role, I presume you have used some or all of these.

In my experience if you are developing, SQL is more important that the low level DBA stuff.
      Not sure a Sybase course would be particularly beneficial as all of the RDBMS mentioned are used in my current ClientCo alone.

GL.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

hi

i undrestand sybase is commonly used rdbms platform , will it help if i pass sybase exams?

thanks
        Decent spelling and grammar would be a start.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

hi

thanks
          There are no hiring criteria. Just keep looking for roles you are qualified for. Eventually you will get one.

IBs prefer those within IB as they are used to the abuse and the commute. Don't be suprised it the work is easier than you expect.

I worked with a quant at TMI who had come from pharmaceuticals. He was cheesed off as he was on twice the money and wanted it to be twice as tough. But it was twice as easy.

Comment

I'd end up doing a MarillionFan and twatting a trader if I worked in an IB.

That's why I work for a company that writes core systems for IB's etc.

There are 3 levels of helpdesk between me and them

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              I'd end up doing a MarillionFan and twatting a trader if I worked in an IB.l
              If you tried that you'd probably get your head kicked in. Most (equities) traders are more than capable of handling an IT nerd like yourself.

Did you see it when it kicked off in the City in May 2003? The "anarchists" got a right pasting from some traders.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                I'd end up doing a MarillionFan and twatting a trader if I worked in an IB.
                Are there any traders in Bridgwater?

Anyway nothing wrong with twatting traders. As long as you don't get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                  If you tried that you'd probably get your head kicked in. Most (equities) traders are more than capable of handling an IT nerd like yourself.

Did you see it when it kicked off in the City in May 2003? The "anarchists" got a right pasting from some traders.
                  You are a dreamer. Now piss off back under your rock.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post

You are such a knob
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X