• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What you hate about hotels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you hate about hotels

Excellent points here;

What you hate about hotels - Telegraph

I think I can agree with every single one, although the bogroll point is a bit pedantic.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

re:tea and coffee it appears posh places avoid this by not giving you in-room facilities, necessitating a £3 spend at the bar.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

They left out expensive laundry "services" that shrink your stuff. Seriously, if your job is to wash clothes and you can't manage to launder a T-shirt without reducing it five sizes, you really need to re-think your choice of career.
      You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        re:tea and coffee it appears posh places avoid this by not giving you in-room facilities, necessitating a £3 spend at the bar.
        Crap isn't it? After a busy day or a long journey I want to have a cup of tea or coffee in the peace and quiet of my own room.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Agree with many of those. I've never had the laundry problem.

Another thing I hate, £17.50 (or local currency equiv) for breakfast when staying in an expensive hotel
          worst example of this ever, £225 per night for the Hilton Stockholm, single beds mind you, no pile of cushions, or coffee in the room, then £17 for brekkie

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Excellent points here;

What you hate about hotels - Telegraph

I think I can agree with every single one, although the bogroll point is a bit pedantic.
            The only bugbear that I have with hostels didn't even get à mention.

Central heating. It is always turned up way too high and one often has little control over it.

I once had this problem in the Arctic circle where it was -20 degrees outside but I had to spend the night with the windows wide open to get some relief from the perishing heating.

Still, àt least I had the option to open the window unlike in many hôtels where one can barely open them an inch, if at all.
            Last edited by NotAllThere; 24 August 2012, 13:25. Reason: Fixed spelling of hôtel

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Another thing I hate, £17.50 (or local currency equiv) for breakfast when staying in an expensive hotel
              worst example of this ever, £225 per night for the Hilton Stockholm, single beds mind you, no pile of cushions, or coffee in the room, then £17 for brekkie
              WHS

I understand it; it's the Ryanair concept; you pay for the room and if you want anything else at all, you pay extra. Thing is, if I wanted that concept I'd book into the f**king Etap or somewhere like that, not a 4 or 5 star place.

Of course, some people will then complain that they're paying for breakfast to be included when they don't eat brekkie in the hotel; frankly, either give them a tenner discount or tell them to **** off and stay in the Etap with all the other plebs of their own sort.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You normally seem to get breakfast if you book properly, if you use websites to find deals you have to check this very closely... one site might have the same price for B&B, another room-only. No way am I paying >£10 for breakfast unless it's a proper 5* experience rather than typical buffet (which I do love but not at that price) so sometimes we choose our hotel based on which one will include breakfast in the rate when staying somewhere we don't know.

It's wrong, a proper hotel is supposed to include a proper English Breakfast.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Is that the Slussen Hilton at the top of the hill, with the outside winebar? Some right totty in that in an evening. Wrapped up in a blanket watching the best Stockholm has to offer just breezing in and out.. Fabulous.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Who has been sleeping in the bed before you and what they have been doing.

Comment

Working...
                    X