• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In the clouds...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the clouds...

Well, chaps and chapesses...

What a load of old bollox I endured this week. All this talk of the data's up the in 'cloud'. Translates to: the databases are hosted by a company in the bowels of a northern ind. est.

At least it hasn't been bobbed along to Pune yet...

No wonder IT gets should a bad name with this absolute BS with the infra-structure geeks so far up themselves and totally anal retentive with such utter cloud nonsense. Look into the clouds today - I can see no data.

What a load of tripe and an embarrassment to all in the game.

one day at a time

PAAS, SAAS, LAAS is the future.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The comedy marketing bollocks comes thick and fast. Just nod and invoice.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Does my fuggin' tits in.

Parts of client co seem to work themselves into orgasm with groups chants of "big data" and "it's on the cloud".

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
          Well, chaps and chapesses...

What a load of old bollox I endured this week. All this talk of the data's up the in 'cloud'. Translates to: the databases are hosted by a company in the bowels of a northern ind. est.

At least it hasn't been bobbed along to Pune yet...

No wonder IT gets should a bad name with this absolute BS with the infra-structure geeks so far up themselves and totally anal retentive with such utter cloud nonsense. Look into the clouds today - I can see no data.

What a load of tripe and an embarrassment to all in the game.

The point of cloud-based solutions is that they're not hosted anywhere concrete, they're just somewhere within an infrastructure that the developer doesn't need to manage and that they have access to only via the web. If people are calling using a data centre in a dodgy industrial estate "working in the cloud" now, I think they must have misunderstood the term.

I've used Windows Azure and SQL Azure, and they were both OK: working with them is only marginally different to working with IIS and SQL Server. They're particularly useful for small startups that don't want the hassle of maintaining their own servers.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Does my fuggin' tits in.

Parts of client co seem to work themselves into orgasm with groups chants of "big data" and "it's on the cloud".
            I can handle most forms of Bullshit Bingo. The only one I really don't like is when I hear "SharePoint" bandied about as The Answer to everything, from bug tracking to project management to running their intranet (the latter of which is the only thing it could ever be any good at).

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
              The point of cloud-based solutions is that they're not hosted anywhere concrete, they're just somewhere within an infrastructure that the developer doesn't need to manage and that they have access to only via the web. If people are calling using a data centre in a dodgy industrial estate "working in the cloud" now, I think they must have misunderstood the term.

I've used Windows Azure and SQL Azure, and they w
              ere both OK: working with them is only marginally different to working with IIS and SQL Server. They're particularly useful for small startups that don't want the hassle of maintaining their own servers.
              It's not small companies moving into the cloud because they don't want the hassle of supporting their infrastructure it's huge Global companies running hand over first to implement SAAS solutions. PAAS is the next logical step. Benefits are high availability, consolidation, data recovery, virtual infrastructures, speed to market, cost savings in support, instant upgrade paths. Look at trail blazers like Salesforce or ServiceNow for an idea of what's being sold at the moment and to get an idea of how businesses will move into the cloud.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                I can handle most forms of Bullshit Bingo. The only one I really don't like is when I hear "SharePoint" bandied about as The Answer to everything, from bug tracking to project management to running their intranet (the latter of which is the only thing it could ever be any good at).
                Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                It's not small companies moving into the cloud because they don't want the hassle of supporting their infrastructure it's huge Global companies running hand over first to implement SAAS solutions. PAAS is the next logical step. Benefits are high availability, consolidation, data recovery, virtual infrastructures, speed to market, cost savings in support, instant upgrade paths. Look at trail blazers like Salesforce or ServiceNow for an idea of what's being sold at the moment and to get an idea of how businesses will move into the cloud.
                "House!"

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Look at trail blazers like Salesforce or ServiceNow for an idea of what's being sold at the moment and to get an idea of how businesses will move into the cloud.
                    I am in some way involved in a salesforce project, big resistance to it at upper level.

Comment

Working...
                    X