• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sums it all up really...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sums it all up really...

Great comment in the Telegraph re. Neil Armstrong's passing:

We can look back and see that July 20th, 1969 was the exact date our civilisation peaked. All the iPhones in the world don't really compare to what was achieved that day.

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    Great comment in the Telegraph re. Neil Armstrong's passing:

"We can look back and see that July 20th, 1969 was the exact date our civilisation peaked. All the iPhones in the world don't really compare to what was achieved that day. "
    That's very interesting Malc, because I've met a few people over the years who opine that the sixties in general were when we peaked in the developed world.

They mention lots of things, such as when the the sexual revolution took off, the unleashing of boundaries in pop music (culminating in Woodstock), the expansion of TV before it became 90% schedule-filling dross, standard of living and job security, foreign holidays became common, and, in the UK anyway, Grammar schools were in their pomp.

If true I suppose the first moon landing could be considered the cherry on the cake, before it all gently moved downhill again.

Comment

In some ways we have not moved on. But in others we have.

Medicine has moved on alot. DNA assists paternity tests and murder cases. Its nice to be able to watch films at home on DVD - and record what you want off the telly. TV on demand. Far wider range of food available.

My ex-wife would probably have not got a kidney transplant back then. Oh yeah - actually the sixties were much better....

Comment

There were 3.8 billion less people on the planet in the 60's
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Yes, no-one can argue we have moved on, especially in the fields of medicine and technology.

But I think what they are getting at is the balance between the feelings of well-being and hope, and those of not so well-being and diminishing hope. As a general average.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            There were 3.8 billion less people on the planet in the 60's
            Exactly why things are crap now days.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              Exactly why things are crap now days.
              A consequence of "make lurve not war" from the 60's?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

It was a vanity project at the end of the day. I think we're doing just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  A consequence of "make lurve not war" from the 60's?
                  I was thinking more uncontrolled immigration and the state paying kids to have kids.

Comment

I remember the 60's

church
                    parades on a sunday
                    not many single mums
                    no shopping on Sunday
                    mini skirts
                    the rag and bone man
                    no supermarkets
                    the beatles
                    piles of horse poo in the streets
                    milk floats