• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need some advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice

Or more accurately some bullet points to deliver for a lecture.

A cousin of mine is faculty head of ICT for a secondary school and she'd like me to talk to the higher computing class about the IT industry. What jobs and skills are required, what are the prospects (), what direction they should be heading in etc.

I can obviously talk about my own experiences but in general terms what do you think are the skills employers are looking for right now. Is there an advantage to further education or could a school leaver get a foot in the door, you get my drift.
    Me, me, me...

#1 technology moves so fast, it's daft to focus upon technology. By the time you get the experience, it will be redundant

#2 Therefore concentrate on transferrable skills. Maths, logic, Business skills

#3 or concentrate on associated functions that are indespensible, law, accountancy etc

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I think you should do it all while playing the guitar and winking suggestively at one or more of the female teachers. That's what I imagine you doing, anyway.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Don't worry about things like technology or business skills, just apply for Big Brother or shows like X-Factor where you can become an immediate celebrity with no hard work whatsoever.

By the way, did I mention I have an X-Factor style recording studio.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The Sudoku test:

If you like doing sudokus (and mostly get them right) you'll make a great coder.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Don't worry about things like technology or business skills, just apply for Big Brother or shows like X-Factor where you can become an immediate celebrity with no hard work whatsoever.

By the way, did I mention I have an X-Factor style recording studio.
            The expected fckwit drivel.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              The Sudoku test:

If you like doing sudokus (and mostly get them right) you'll make a great coder.
              Ooh good one.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                I think you should do it all while playing the guitar and winking suggestively at one or more of the female students. That's what I imagine you doing, anyway.
                FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  #1 technology moves so fast, it's daft to focus upon technology. By the time you get the experience, it will be redundant

#2 Therefore concentrate on transferrable skills. Maths, logic, Business skills

#3 or concentrate on associated functions that are indespensible, law, accountancy etc

Perfect.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    I think you should do it all while playing the guitar and winking suggestively at one or more of the female teachers. That's what I imagine you doing, anyway.
                    I never pass up an opportunity.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X