• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's up for it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's up for it?

http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do...roflondon.page

The next Mayor of London will be chosen in May 2008. For the first time, every voter in London will get the chance to select the Conservative Party’s candidate for that election. Any Conservative who is eligible to stand in the election for Mayor can apply to become the Party’s candidate.

This marks a first for London and a first for the Conservatives. It’s the first time in British politics that such an important post has been chosen like this. And it’s a first for the Conservatives – we’re changing our selection process for the Mayor to give every Londoner a say.

Who wins? You decide.

Every Londoner who supports our Party will have a chance to become the Conservative candidate. Headhunters will be used to encourage potential candidates to apply. And, later in the year, we will be holding a series of public meetings across the capital so that Londoners can quiz potential candidates face to face. Then every Londoner will be able to vote by text or phone on who should be the Conservative candidate for the capital’s top job.

Too many people are fed up and disillusioned with politics. We hope that doing things differently will fire the public’s imagination, and get them talking and thinking about politics again. Somewhere in London, there’s a Mayor in the making. If it’s you, please consider applying today.

Anyone? anyone?

I'll apply and my first and last act would be to abolish the post of mayor and the London Assembly.

Comment

I'd consider it.

I would like to see the cancelling of the CC extension Westward. The other thing I would like to see as an improvement of sporting facilities in London. For example when I look out of Z Towers Corporate Offices I can see Haggerston Pool. This is a grade I listed building that Hackney Council have seen fit to let it fall into disrepair. However cleaned up and re-opened it would provide a valuable resource for an area considered one of the poorest in the UK.

I would abolish the bendy buses and re-introduce something that looked like the older Routemasters but perhaps with a more greener engine (perhaps with a hybrid)

I'd look to encouraging schemes between London workers ( both perm and freelance ) to train under privilaged youngsters in London in their business area and industry.

I've always liked trams and it would be nice to introduce them into the Holborn/Oxford Street/Regent Street/West end area

I'd continue to look into a scheme of using Oysters for low value transactions.

Other things might have to wait

Comment

Sounds like you'd be piling on the local taxes, Zathras.

Comment

London? Who cares? It's a local issue.

Next!
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by zathras
            I'd consider it.

I would like to see the cancelling of the CC extension Westward. The other thing I would like to see as an improvement of sporting facilities in London. For example when I look out of Z Towers Corporate Offices I can see Haggerston Pool. This is a grade I listed building that Hackney Council have seen fit to let it fall into disrepair. However cleaned up and re-opened it would provide a valuable resource for an area considered one of the poorest in the UK.

I would abolish the bendy buses and re-introduce something that looked like the older Routemasters but perhaps with a more greener engine (perhaps with a hybrid)

I'd look to encouraging schemes between London workers ( both perm and freelance ) to train under privilaged youngsters in London in their business area and industry.

I've always liked trams and it would be nice to introduce them into the Holborn/Oxford Street/Regent Street/West end area

I'd continue to look into a scheme of using Oysters for low value transactions.

Other things might have to wait
            How about something to cool the bastard tube down - I am fed up of sweating like Gary Glitter's paperboy every time I get on the bloody thing.

Comment

VOTE FOR ME!!

I would embezzle as much money as possible while accepting bribes and various high value gifts from anybody willing to give them to me. In return I would make and then dig up lots of bus lanes to make it look like i give s hit about london transport and hire some foreign troubleshooter to look at the tube system (but probably ignore his reccomendations).

I would also work hard to make the mayor exempt from prosecution so then when I get kicked out there is no come back.

Think of all that you could acheive by bribing me, wan't a bus lane driving pass??? Give me a few thousand and i'll create one for you that will enable you to drive in any London bus lane at any time of the day legally!!!! See i'm a man for the people :P

Comment

Working...
              X