• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turkey to join EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey to join EU

Oui or non?

Does it make sense to have a Muslim country with a fecked economy located in Asia join the EU?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5071806.stm

I think a big NO.

What of our learned panel?

70,000,000 Turks with freedom of movement across Europe ?! Guess which direction will be a hot favourite ? Not over the other border into Iran/Iraq that's for sure.

The vast majority of the country after the major urban centres and touristy spots is truly backwards in every way. These are people who would see Swindon as being some dreamy futuristic town.
    Turkey should come back in 30-50 years and we'll see then what progress they have made. They won't even recognise Cyprus, fly bully-boy military flights over EU / Greek territory every day of the week and then there's the human rights: like the lauded author who very narrowly escaped jail for the crime of ..... yes ... criticising the country.

What I couldn't get my head round was their president 'threatening' to withdraw. What kind of threat is that ?? Who would give a **** ? Of course he's a wily fella really and would then blame EU of elitism, bigotry, racisim, anti-islamic sentiments etc. And the liberal EU-crats would crap themselves over the dinner party table if that was ever raised.

Yes, outside Europe. But the European Soviet Union's ambitions stretch far beyond Europe. The final goal is to be a World Union, all governed by politicians in Brussels. Nice.

Comment

These are people who would see Swindon as being some dreamy futuristic town.
      Excuse me, but I "live" in Swindon and it has a state-of-the-art 1970's shopping centre, an ice rink and several pubs.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Angela_D
        70,000,000 Turks with freedom of movement across Europe ?! Guess which direction will be a hot favourite ?
        Germany.

The talks start about possibility of joining EU, actual joining (with freedom of movement) won't happen for at least 10 years, probably 15.

Comment

Germany isn't really as welcoming as it once was. There are no more Gastarbeiters. Of course you could get away with speaking Turkish for a while if you lived in ghettoised areas. Germany will attract relatives of Turkish Germans already settled/born in DE.

But I would say the 2006 / 2016 generation would be more inclined to head to Britain, specifically London.

That's inevitable from all accession countries. There is an over-blown and dated image and of swinging London's hipness and economic possibilities. In the end it simply comes down to language. English is the world's favourite language to learn so it is quite easy to get along in England.

Romania and Bulgaria are next around the corner.

The South-East is already swamped and cruising towards becoming tarmac and houses. But there is sweet FA that will be done about that as Parliament has long since become subordinate to Brussels.

What price Israel or Palestine ?

Comment

You'll be singing a different tune when you want a kebab at 2.00am and the vast array of newly opened vans means better consumer choice.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              You'll be singing a different tune when you want a kebab at 2.00am and the vast array of newly opened vans means better consumer choice.
              If I'm buying a kebab at that time I'm always singing a tune

Comment

Originally posted by Angela_D
                Germany isn't really as welcoming as it once was.
                Its not, but, given free mobility without Visas, nationals of country X would tend to go to country that historically attracted them.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  Oui or non?

Does it make sense to have a Muslim country with a fecked economy located in Asia join the EU?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5071806.stm

I think a big NO.

What of our learned panel?
                  I say a resounding YES - Anything that increases the chances of bloating the EU to the point of meaninglessness and ultimately breaking it up is to be encouraged.

It's remotely possible that Blair and co are not as thick as they generally act and sound in promoting this if their long term goal is the same, but sadly I'd concede that's probably wishful thinking.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I think we should allow Turkey to join , that way we can employ cheap labour and fill up thoes vacant prison guard positions , Turkey has a lot of "skilled" labour in this area but I think we will have to confiscate the testicle electrodes and the rotan's at the airport , cant have them actually torturing people that wouldnt be british.

A good training program of feeding prisoners burgers (Mc Kabab) would be a good idea and it will probably do more damage in the long run as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X