• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The History of the Floppy Disk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The History of the Floppy Disk

The History of the Floppy Disk - Input Output

Worth a read for all nostalgic geeks
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

they enabled developers and users to stop using the dreaded paper tape (which were easy to fold, spindle, and mutilate, not to mention to pirate) and the loathed IBM 5081 punch card
    Don't agree. If your source was on cards you could fix a bug by punching 1 new card, which I often did on a non-interpreting hand punch with 12 keys - 1 for each hole position, and you just had to remember which holes made which character. Or you'd get your compile back with errors, a day later.

Ah, Data Processing was fun then.

Comment

Prefer the History of Mr Polly

With the classic line, "Little dog!" he said, and moved doorward hastily. "Eating my bicycle tyre, I believe".

Comment

How did I know there would be a z reply even before clicking?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          You're psychic?

Circle, Square, Triangle?
          Cube

What do I win?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

Ah, Data Processing was fun then.
            WHS - I knew someone who wasted several days trying to debug a COBOL program, staring at a hard-copy print out analyzing it line by line for hours on end but could find nothing wrong, until eventually it turned out there was a dark blemish in the paper of exactly the size and location of a full stop that should have been present but wasn't. Classic
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

You could decorate the office at Christmas with paper tape streamers and punch card stars.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Apple II, I always remember some keen member of my A level class having 5-6 drives linked in a stack to run his great Cobol A level project application.

Sigh........
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  Apple II, I always remember some keen member of my A level class having 5-6 drives linked in a stack to run his great Cobol A level project application.

Sigh........
                  One of the nicest bits of 6502 I've ever seen was written for the Apple II - Sweet16 - Steve Wozniak is a genius.

Comment

I learned to code on paper coding sheets which used to get sent away and get punched at the bureau (I punched my own JCL cards). As I was just a grunt my programs used to come back full of errors whereas the senior guys used to get their cards double punched (i.e. verified). We were only allowed one compile a day so it used to have a real impact on my productivity but it did teach me not to make too many mistakes.

We also had printouts of all the programs in huge racks of one part stationery and the convention was if you made a change to a program you had to take a complete printout and hang it in the racks. Pretty much all coding was designed using the printouts and coding sheets and not on the actual computer which had a pretty primitive line editor and a 2mb of core memory (1mb plus a 1mb add-on that cost over £100,000).
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X