• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Miniboom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miniboom

I started working for my clientco in May this year. Was sent to their office in Bangkok in June for three weeks. Good times and better off financially really, but after the second week it was becoming a little bit like the hangover movie and I wanted to get out of there.

Got a call this morning, snowed under work there so they want me to go for a month this time (initially...). Not sure what to do... financially it is very good, I am single so I do not have a problem in being away but Bangkok can be quite heavy at times and social life is heavy there...

Decisions decisions...

Originally posted by Segush View Post
    I started working for my clientco in May this year. Was sent to their office in Bangkok in June for three weeks. Good times and better off financially really, but after the second week it was becoming a little bit like the hangover movie and I wanted to get out of there.

Got a call this morning, snowed under work there so they want me to go for a month this time (initially...). Not sure what to do... financially it is very good, I am single so I do not have a problem in being away but Bangkok can be quite heavy at times and social life is heavy there...

Decisions decisions...
    I wouldn't do it. I've contracted in Asia in US banks.
    Like you said, it's like The Hangover movie. You can't stay in at night because you will be bored on your own and your apartment will probably be tiny. Expat life in these places is one big pissup- so if money is your reason to go watch out. I made good money by living in the local ghettos (serious, was an experience but not for everyone- lonely) to keep costs way down. Colleagues lived in smart places , went on the razzle every night and left after a years contracting with no savings.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
      I wouldn't do it. I've contracted in Asia in US banks.
      Like you said, it's like The Hangover movie. You can't stay in at night because you will be bored on your own and your apartment will probably be tiny. Expat life in these places is one big pissup- so if money is your reason to go watch out. I made good money by living in the local ghettos (serious, was an experience but not for everyone- lonely) to keep costs way down. Colleagues lived in smart places , went on the razzle every night and left after a years contracting with no savings.
      I felt like that after a while when I went there last time. It was fun at the beginning but as you said quite lonely.

They put me up in Soi 11 which is one of the most lively areas in Bangkok, full of expats, so it was difficult to stay in. I was in serviced apartments so they were quite good and very clean. However it was cheaper to eat out than staying in so it felt like living in a hotel anyway. Good for a week but got tired of it in the end...

Money is not the main reason, but I spent very little and invoiced more which made up for it. I think work wise it quite a good opportunity, but a month there I think it is too long... need to make up my mind.

Comment

I felt like that after a while when I went there last time. It was fun at the beginning but as you said quite lonely.

They put me up in Soi 11 which is one of the most lively areas in Bangkok, full of expats, so it was difficult to stay in. I was in serviced apartments so they were quite good and very clean. However it was cheaper to eat out than staying in so it felt like living in a hotel anyway. Good for a week but got tired of it in the end...

Money is not the main reason, but I spent very little and invoiced more which made up for it. I think work wise it quite a good opportunity, but a month there I think it is too long... need to make up my mind.
        Get a local girlfriend and steer clear of expats. Get a pad in the ghetto for a real experience! My team was hungover every day. It's a young mans game.

Comment

Ask for rate + X, where X is a sufficiently large number to definitely make it worth while.

Go out at night for dinner and a couple of beers, but take nights off, or go home early.

Take lots of films, your xbox/playstation, kindle, find a gym, work on plan B at night etc. Loads of things you can do without going to get pissed all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            Ask for rate + X, where X is a sufficiently large number to definitely make it worth while.

Go out at night for dinner and a couple of beers, but take nights off, or go home early.

Take lots of films, your xbox/playstation, kindle, find a gym, work on plan B at night etc. Loads of things you can do without going to get pissed all the time.
            Depends on how bendy your arm is. If you are single and your new and friendly team is going out for after work beers every night, it's hard to tear yourself away to go and watch a DVD.

Good good money to be made if you can stick it out for 2 years at low tax rates.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

Rate + X is 4 hours more a day for being abroad, it soon adds up... Saw a nice gym last time, I think if I manage to stick to a plan and only go out say Thursdays and Fridays it may work...

Comment

Rate + X is 4 hours more a day for being abroad, it soon adds up... Saw a nice gym last time, I think if I manage to stick to a plan and only go out say Thursdays and Fridays it may work...
                You'll be bollock deep in the lady boys before you know it.
                When I was in Bangkok a Chinese londoner turned up on his first day, slammed his briefcase down on his desk and announced "I've come here to f**k"!

That's how it is.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
                  You'll be bollock deep in the lady boys before you know it.
                  When I was in Bangkok a Chinese londoner turned up on his first day, slammed his briefcase down on his desk and announced "I've come here to f**k"!

That's how it is.
                  Haha, I went there in June for 3 weeks and stayed away from that square where they usually hang out. Yes you do see lots of expats being corrupted!

Comment

Finally going there, got a gym sorted and taking my kindle to keep me away from trouble. I have also decided to only go out Fridays and Saturdays as I would do here. 8 weeks minibreak, back for Christmas...

Comment

Working...
                    X