• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Tricks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Tricks

Have we done this yet?

New Tricks stars criticise show's writers, New Tricks criticisms 'an insult', New Tricks star Alun Armstrong quits after angry writer's tweet.

It's a real shame. New Tricks, Doctor Who and Dragon's Den are about the only things I've watched on telly in the past ten years. I quite like all the characters, especially Brian Lane played by Alun Armstrong, and the writing's always been good. Now they seem to be imploding under the weight of their own egos.

I do think the actors have come across as a bit ungrateful to the writers for the part they've played in the show's success. I'm sure they wouldn't have liked it had the writers been gobbing off in public about how their writing made up for the cast's poor acting. They're lucky to have such watchable parts written for them: there aren't too many comedy/dramas focused on characters in that age group.

You can't teach old dogs new tricks.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
      Have we done this yet?

New Tricks stars criticise show's writers, New Tricks criticisms 'an insult', New Tricks star Alun Armstrong quits after angry writer's tweet.

It's a real shame. New Tricks, Doctor Who and Dragon's Den are about the only things I've watched on telly in the past ten years. I quite like all the characters, especially Brian Lane played by Alun Armstrong, and the writing's always been good. Now they seem to be imploding under the weight of their own egos.

I do think the actors have come across as a bit ungrateful to the writers for the part they've played in the show's success. I'm sure they wouldn't have liked it had the writers been gobbing off in public about how their writing made up for the cast's poor acting. They're lucky to have such watchable parts written for them: there aren't too many comedy/dramas focused on characters in that age group.
      My folks are very old. The TV is the only thing keeping them alive. They will watch any s-h-i-t-e. And do, for most of their waking hours.

And yet, a few weeks ago, even they mentioned that "New Tricks" had gone down the pan. I couldn't really comment, as I can't stand T.V. (apart from F1, MotoGP and BBC4.)

So I think that's one negative vote cast, by proxy.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

good post. succinct. to the point.

keep it up dear

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          good post. succinct. to the point.

keep it up dear
          How's the dungeons and dragons going? Has Halo Jones kicked your backside yet?

Comment

How's the dungeons and dragons going? Has Halo Jones kicked your backside yet?
            hah.

no one kicks mighty level 9 EO'S arse.

I got a new skill tonight, making leather bags

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              My folks are very old. The TV is the only thing keeping them alive. They will watch any s-h-i-t-e. And do, for most of their waking hours.

And yet, a few weeks ago, even they mentioned that "New Tricks" had gone down the pan. I couldn't really comment, as I can't stand T.V. (apart from F1, MotoGP and BBC4.)

So I think that's one negative vote cast, by proxy.
              I find I can't watch most dramas or films now. I don't know whether I've just hit that age where I can't suspend disbelief in the way you need to in order to enjoy that sort of medium, or whether it's a feature of the internet having come along and replaced the boob tube for my generation as the timewaster of choice.

I still quite like New Tricks, though. Even Monday's opener for this series was pretty good. And all character-based: very few loud bangs and special effects to keep the plot going, just good writing and watchable actors interacting.

Comment

Telly? Fck that, I do my own fantasies these days.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  hah.

no one kicks mighty level 9 EO'S arse.

I got a new skill tonight, making leather bags
                  Good work, keep it up. Mine's a Knomo Cholet, please.

Comment

Mrs EO is a highly qualified nurse. But she insists on watching all the hospital crap thats on the TV. Most of it is technically bolks

So its nothing to do with the content, more to do with the human interactions I would think.

hic

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X