• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unbe * lievable!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unbe * lievable!!!!

What do you think of this?

Secret royal veto powers over new laws to be exposed | UK news | The Guardian
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

So secret it was shown in a TV documentary a few years back.

Queenie and the ministers stand, rather than sit, to stop the session going on too long. The ministers read out the bills which have been voted through and Her Maj says "Granted".

She IS the head of state after all.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea to me, but it doesnt seem to have protected us from our traitorous politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        I wouldn't worry too much. An Act of Parliament hasn't been vetoed by the Sovereign for over 300 years now.

("Le Roy / La Reine s'avisera" is Norman French, meaning "The King / Queen will take advice")
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It's one of those things. The monarch has the right to veto any law, so long as she never actually does so. (If she did it would force a constitutional crisis, and we'd probably end up without a monarchy - instead an elected president with all that that entails ).
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            It's one of those things. The monarch has the right to veto any law, so long as she never actually does so. (If she did it would force a constitutional crisis, and we'd probably end up without a monarchy - instead an elected president with all that that entails ).
            It shows how completely redundant a monarchy is. Even when they do have a function, they don't exercise that function.

If the monarchy serves no purpose, why do we need a president if we don't have a monarch?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The Royal family is the biggest tourist trap in the world.

That's why we need them.

Comment

The Royal family is the biggest tourist trap in the world
                People always say that. There is no evidence for it at all and it makes no sense. If you go to the Vatican, do you do so just because the pope lives there or because you want to to see the famous historical buldings, artifacts and artwork, like the Cistine Chapel?

What tourist want to see is the history and the culture. If we took over all the palaces, art and lands now exclusive to the royal family and opened them up to the public, tourism would rise, not fall.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  What if she did something incredibly popular like veto membership of the EU? Or force a Yes / No referendum? Oh for a monarch that actually worked for democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    People always say that. There is no evidence for it at all and it makes no sense. If you go to the Vatican, do you do so just because the pope lives there or because you want to to see the famous historical buldings, artifacts and artwork, like the Cistine Chapel?

What tourist want to see is the history and the culture. If we took over all the palaces, art and lands now exclusive to the royal family and opened them up to the public, tourism would rise, not fall.
                    According to a recent study Tat with the Queens face on it brings in £1.2billion a year in taxes to the UK and that's excluding the image rights for her face by Royal Mail. She's the David Beckham of the royalty set.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X