• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bible reviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bible reviews

13 Best Online Reviews Of The Bible

Main character is too full of himself, not relatable.

There used to be a great satirical website called The Brick Testament a few years ago, depicting scenes from the Bible in Lego. It's still online, but it's now basically just an advert for the same material that's been converted to e-book format.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        13 Best Online Reviews Of The Bible

Main character is too full of himself, not relatable.
        Oh dear. I can already hear the Church of General rumbling in the background.

This thread should run on for a while...

EDIT: Actually, that might just have been a bit of thunder; it is looking very grey outside.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

For a moment there I thought the reviews were for the last series of Doctor Who.

Funny, but inaccurate. The parody makes as much sense as a review of the Works of Shakespeare as though it was one narrative. The Bible isn't a single book - it's a collection of over sixty seperate books, encompassing a range of literary genres - history, etiology, biograpy, poetry, historical fiction, sayings, apocalyptic, comedy, tragedy, hero, legal, personal letters, myth, prophecy... and probably a few others. From a literary perspective the King James translation of the Bible is tremendously important, containing some profoundly deep and insightful writing, and has had an enormous effect on the the English language; as much as Shakespeare and the OED. It's also one of the most important examples of ancient writings in existance. Certainly, for me, reading something first put down over twenty centuries ago, and see that the people are "just like us", is something to be respected. How much of Rowling will still be known in 4000AD? Sneering at the Bible just shows the ignorance of those who pretend to have knowledge, but have probably never actually read any of it.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Sneering at the Bible just shows the ignorance of those who pretend to have knowledge, but have probably never actually read any of it.
            I don't think people sneer at all of the content of the Bible - or any other religious text for that matter. It's the people who believe these words are somehow more precious and important than those of the other fine examples of literature you quoted; it's those people that are the target of the sneering. Ps. I'm an Atheist, and yet I have read most of the world's religious texts.

Certainly, for me, reading something first put down over twenty centuries ago, and see that the people are "just like us", is something to be respected. How much of Rowling will still be known in 4000AD?
            In which case I suggest you research the history of mathematics. Some truly staggering works, both creatively and intellectually, penned many, many centuries before the Bible and all other leading modern religious texts.

And if you want religious texts that have been forgotten to a large extent, and yet pre-date the Bible by centuries, look into the history of many Pagan texts.

And Rowling? Well, maybe someone was saying the same thing about Homer (no, not Simpson) two and a half thousand years ago. And remember, he was writing from stories which had already survived centuries before he laid pen to paper.

Don't judge history until after it has happened.

EDIT: Typo's
            Last edited by nomadd; 2 September 2012, 22:17.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

For a moment there I thought the reviews were for the last series of Doctor Who.

Funny, but inaccurate. The parody makes as much sense as a review of the Works of Shakespeare as though it was one narrative. The Bible isn't a single book - it's a collection of over sixty seperate books, encompassing a range of literary genres - history, etiology, biograpy, poetry, historical fiction, sayings, apocalyptic, comedy, tragedy, hero, legal, personal letters, myth, prophecy... and probably a few others. From a literary perspective the King James translation of the Bible is tremendously important, containing some profoundly deep and insightful writing, and has had an enormous effect on the the English language; as much as Shakespeare and the OED. It's also one of the most important examples of ancient writings in existance. Certainly, for me, reading something first put down over twenty centuries ago, and see that the people are "just like us", is something to be respected. How much of Rowling will still be known in 4000AD? Sneering at the Bible just shows the ignorance of those who pretend to have knowledge, but have probably never actually read any of it.
              It is a set of books, but with the connection of common 'character' - a bit like David Mitchell's 'Cloud Atlas'.

It is indeed an extremely influential book and has shaped the lives of millions.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                ...an extremely influential book and has shaped the lives of millions.
                I bet it hasn't shaped as many lives as this one: The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight: Amazon.co.uk: Hairy Bikers: Books
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

According to the Bible, all of mankind descended
                  from one man and one woman who had two sons. Think about that.
                  Take all the time you need.

(Apparently...)
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    According to the Bible, all of mankind descended
                    from one man and one woman who had two sons. Think about that.
                    Take all the time you need.

(Apparently...)
                    How else would you have answered the question "Where do we come from?" two to three thousand years ago?

or "What are these shells in this rock? We're "miles" away from the sea?"

or "What happens when we die?"

or "How do we keep the general population in line and maintain the status quo? We need something to put the fear of God in to people...

Comment

Working...
                    X