• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about mortgages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about mortgages

Can you buy a property in joint names on the deeds but only have one name on the mortgage (sole mortgage) or if the property is owned jointly, does the mortgage have to be in joint names?

TIA

What's the aim here? It's not quite the same but on the house we own, the property and mortgage are both 100% in my name BUT there is a clause saying I can't sell the property without my wife's consent. At the time her credit rating was too awful to have her name anywhere near the paperwork so this was the advised way to make it 'our' house.

Also... just ask your friendly local independent mortgage adviser.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Can you buy a property in joint names on the deeds but only have one name on the mortgage (sole mortgage) or if the property is owned jointly, does the mortgage have to be in joint names?

TIA
      Not sure, but I think you might have an issue with whoever is lending you the money. They really own the property until the mortgage is paid, I am not sure they would like a third party involved. Who would they evict when the loan is not paid?

HTH
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

What is this thing mortgage of which you speak?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          What is this thing mortgage of which you speak?
          It is what us divorced peeps have to avoid living in a shop doorway.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            Not sure, but I think you might have an issue with whoever is lending you the money. They really own the property until the mortgage is paid, I am not sure they would like a third party involved. Who would they evict when the loan is not paid?

HTH
            This is what I've been told.

Comment

TIA
              I'd guess sure there's no problem in theory, as long everyone mentioned on the deeds agrees to a charge being added to the deeds in favour of the mortgagee.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

That would be very stupid. You would be liable for the whole debt and she would be entitled to half the property. As someone who bought a house with an ex and spent an enourmous amount of money getting the house sold when we broke up as she was being a **** i had to get an order for sale through the courts.

If you buy a house with anyone who you arent married with, get a deed of trust signed by both parties outlining what happens if you break up.

Comment

TIA
                  Yes, but these days I think the lender may not like that. What is easier is that one person is on the deeds and the second person registers his or her interest with the Land Registry
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Yes, but these days I think the lender may not like that. What is easier is that one person is on the deeds and the second person registers his or her interest with the Land Registry
                    This is correct, the mortgage company will want the person on the deeds to be the mortgagee. The second person registers a charge on the property with the Land Registry. This way, on devolution of the title, the mortgage company are paid first (as they have first charge) then the second charge is paid.

Comment

Working...
                    X