• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investing lump sum wisely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investing lump sum wisely

How would you invest a lump sum (very low risk) if you had say £30k left after,

(1) Pay off all loans and credit cards
    (2) Pay off mortgage
    (3) Put the maximum into a cash ISA

Then what would you do?

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

(2) Pay off mortgage

Then what would you do?
    Depends on your risk profile. I'd ignore the High St and put it in a retail bond - the Tesco Bank 2018 Bond pays 5%. We put a £25k matured endowment in that about 2 months ago. Plenty of PIBS out there paying 7%+ - Nationwide for example.

Comment

Originally posted by LGDT View Post
      Depends on your risk profile. I'd ignore the High St and put it in a retail bond - the Tesco Bank 2018 Bond pays 5%. We put a £25k matured endowment in that about 2 months ago. Plenty of PIBS out there paying 7%+ - Nationwide for example.
      This^

But...

Be VERY careful. Many bonds are not straightforward fixed interest vehicles. You can end up losing both interest and capital on them. Just make sure you go for a standard fixed rate bond with a major lender (and all of these by supermarkets, the AA, etc. are backed by a major lender) and you'll be fine. Some bonds will also let you make penalty free withdrawals during the term; check the small print.

Good place to start: Find & Compare Fixed Rate Bonds | moneysupermarket.com
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

(2) Pay off mortgage

Then what would you do?
        stumped me as well this one.
        I hate the idea of speculating

Solved it this year by getting a 10k new car and spending 6k on holidays. Cant keep doing that though. so if you get an answer, let me know

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Have a punt on the premium bonds. 1 in 24k chance of winning so should get something every month in theory. Max investment happens to be 30k. All tax free. Average return is 1.5% but you never know...........
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cash Isa for me and missus as part of my pension fund.
            Next 10k on a bond at 5%
            Last 10k on 5 divvy paying shares. Standard life, Vodafone, united utilities etc
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I invested in some Greek shares recently...the 10% dividends have now been paid out.

"He who dares"

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                "He who dares"
                My question is specifically about low risk stuff, keeping the capital safe. But thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  ...a 10k new car
                  Are Lada still in production?
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

My question is specifically about low risk stuff, keeping the capital safe. But thanks.
                    Zopa
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X