• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There's money to be made on the internet.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's money to be made on the internet.

Even a Tory Minister, Grant Shapps found a way.

Grant Shapps founded company selling software that breaches Google code | Politics | The Guardian

But for some reason he did it under an assumed name. I wonder why?

Grant Shapps, the Conservative housing minister tipped for promotion to the cabinet this week, founded a family business selling software that increases a website's advertising revenue by breaching Google's code of practice.

The $497 (£313) software package, TrafficPaymaster, creates web pages by "spinning and scraping" content from other sites to attract advertising from Google.
    Hang on - haven't I just done something similar by copying/pasting part of that article?
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Hang on - haven't I just done something similar by copying/pasting part of that article?
    The Guardian probably copied it, or the lazy hack wot wrote it did.

Comment

"Filthy Tory scumbag makes money!"
      - Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        "Filthy Tory scumbag makes money!"
        - Guardian
        Well maybe...

Or perhaps they are pointing out that copying and republishing other people's work in order to derive money from that, is theft?

Clever though. Why didn't I think of doing it...
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Allegations of sockpuppetry - I wonder if he posts here

Grant Shapps is a sock-puppeting loser | Bloggerheads

Comment

The way that article carries on you would have thought that breaking googles code of practice is a capital offence.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              The way that article carries on you would have thought that breaking googles code of practice is a capital offence.
              Even if Google doesn't follow up (why should it?) surely copying other people's material and re-publishing it for financial gain, without permission or accreditation, is theft?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                Even if Google doesn't follow up (why should it?) surely copying other people's material and re-publishing it for financial gain, without permission or accreditation, is theft?
                depends if it falls into the fair use category or not
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

It is my understanding that a few gentlemen here write code to sniff the highest bid for a share/commodity for their clients. What the "Tory scmbag" has done in quite minimal in comparison.
                  <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Sometimes the guilty are punished..

Google blacklists websites run by family of Grant Shapps | Politics | The Guardian

Google blacklists websites run by the family of Grant Shapps.
                    (via a NFitz retweet)

Comment

Working...
                    X