• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Watch your accountants advice - the tax man could be after you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch your accountants advice - the tax man could be after you

Hi,

I've been paying myself a faiurly low salary (outside IR35) and have just been advised by my accountant that I should be paying myself more.

When I speak to my colleagues, it appears that everyone gets different advice from 8k to 20 and even one at 30k.

Who is right AND at the end of teh day, if I follow my accountants advice, I'm presumably the one who's going to be in trouble, not him.

Basically, what come back have you got if you follow your accountants advice and it turns out to be incorrect.

GT

Which is why I am my accountant. I am solely responsible for researching and determining what is best for my company.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
      Which is why I am my accountant. I am solely responsible for researching and determining what is best for my company.
      I thought you were going permanent TM?
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherone
        When I speak to my colleagues, it appears that everyone gets different advice from 8k to 20 and even one at 30k.
        They probably get different advice because they have different circumstances.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherone
          Basically, what come back have you got if you follow your accountants advice and it turns out to be incorrect.

GT
          You need to accurately define incorrect. I don't think advising somebody as to different legal ways of remunerating themselves could possibly be construed as incorrect.

As a director NMW legislation does not apply unless you have a contract of employment with your company, so you are legally free to pay yourself whatever salary you feel like. Obviously there are questions around IR35 and S660 compliance, however none of those make any salary level you choose to pay in any way wrong.

I imagine those who pay themselves a higher salary think they will be further down the track when it comes to potential investigation time. That may be true but I don't think there is any evidence to support it.

Comment

Nope, it's a defence option. If you pay something around national average salary, and therefore somewhere around national average PAYE and NIs, it is less likely that Hector will chase you for IR35 since (a) you are playing the game like a proper business would and (b) there is not nearly so much profit to be made anyway so why bother chasing you.

Taking £4800 pa or so, while totally legal, is also taking the p*** as far as the taman is concerned. The net difference between that and £30k for the average contractor is not huge, if you consider the average IR35 investigation takes three years and costs around £10k even if you win.

At the end of the day, it's a business risk calculation. The accountant is merely being cautious.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'd have to agree with Mal, the general rule to not get an investigation is basically pay yourself a sensible "average" wage. If you start paying yourself 5k per annum and you have a £1200 a month mortgage which your paying using monthly dividends (because you can't aford to wait quarterly) then your asking for a knock at the door.

Comment

Originally posted by davisc02
                If you start paying yourself 5k per annum and you have a £1200 a month mortgage which your paying using monthly dividends (because you can't aford to wait quarterly) then your asking for a knock at the door.
                Although that sounds entirely reasonable there is no evidence to back up that assertion.

The experience of the accountants seems to be that the level of salary makes no difference (i.e. they see just as many investigations on a high salary as they do a low one).

Comment

Originally posted by davisc02
                  you have a £1200 a month mortgage which your paying using monthly dividends (because you can't aford to wait quarterly) then your asking for a knock at the door.
                  How would the taxman know you've got a £1200 a month mortgage then?

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                    I thought you were going permanent TM?
                    Yes - for the most part, but I won't turn down any nice weekenders that pay well so the company is going to stay running.
                    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                    X