• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nice / Strategic areas to live in London area

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice / Strategic areas to live in London area

Hi All,

I am moving to London early next year, to work to start contracting, and I wanted to know if any of you can suggest a nice area (west london preferably) to live in, and which also have good tube/train links to the centre, where I am hoping most of my contract would be. I have already been to London 4 times in the past, stayed in Clapham Common, Hyde Park, Kensington but these were just short holidays.

I also heard that there are some tube links which are more busy then others especially in the rush hour.

I also read some material online, and most probably I would be looking at Ealing and the surrounding areas. It looks like it has a lot of green areas and also good transport links to the city.

What I would be looking for is a fairly safe area with some good nightlife and most importantly green areas like parks where I can do some jogging and good gyms/fitness centres.

Any suggestions?

I've been in Hammersmith for the past few months, it's great for the Circle and Hammersmith lines as its the end of the line so getting a seat is a certainty in the morning.
    It's not too bad on the district line either when travelling from Bank in the evening

There are a few pubs and restaurants in Hammersmith, although not really used them much myself but they look alright. Chiswick is close by and there are some parks + the Thames.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

The big question is (after the one asking if this is a real poster) how much do you want to spend? That will decide everything.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I'd go central if it is an option. There are loads of nice parks (Regents park, Hyde park) plenty of gyms and nightlife is world class.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          The big question is (after the one asking if this is a real poster) how much do you want to spend? That will decide everything.
          What do you mean if I am a real poster? You can check my history and its a really genuine question. I have been doing some research but first hand experiences would be much more appreciated.

I wish to flat share and my budget for accomodation will be £200 - £250 p/w

Comment

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
            What do you mean if I am a real poster? You can check my history and its a really genuine question. I have been doing some research but first hand experiences would be much more appreciated.

I wish to flat share and my budget for accomodation will be £200 - £250 p/w
            When are you thinking of moving down?
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I'd go central if it is an option. There are loads of nice parks (Regents park, Hyde park) plenty of gyms and nightlife is world class.
              Can you suggest some locations? Central like in Zone 1-3?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                When are you thinking of moving down?
                January next year. I have a contract here in Belgium till October, then 2 months off, and planning to move in January 2013

Comment

Originally posted by farout117 View Post
                  January next year. I have a contract here in Belgium till October, then 2 months off, and planning to move in January 2013
                  Bit late for what I was going to say then!

Anyway - as I said earlier, have a look at Hammersmith, it's West London, central and reasonably hip
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Bit late for what I was going to say then!

Anyway - as I said earlier, have a look at Hammersmith, it's West London, central and reasonably hip
                    I will look at Hammersmith.

Any ideas on Ealing? Is it too far away from the centre? And does it have good connections?

Comment

Working...
                    X