• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Past employment as Contract or permanent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Past employment as Contract or permanent

Hi,

If I show one of my past work which was a permie. (only 6 months) as a contract to the agency ; is there a way for them to know that I wasn't working as a contractor at that firm? (Apart from directly contacting the past employer of course). Or even if there is no way for the agency or the client to find this out its just morally wrong?

The reason is that because I don't have much contract experience on my cv and I think the agencies tries to avoid my CV because of this. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

I am honest about my skills and experience on my CV but this looks like unnecessary barrier by agencies.

It's fraud. Don't do it.

Any background checks however basic will pick this up which means any work with public data or financial data is right out of the window let alone clients that do check references, which they do.

It's a barrier for a reason, new guys are untested and can be a risk. It isn't there just for a laugh.

Do not lie on your CV. It will come back and bite you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Like NLUK said don't do it's FRAUD, everyone starts somewhere before I became a contractor I was at my last permie job for 3 months agencies care about when you can start so if you're notice period is a month you'll be hard pressed to get anything unless you can negotiate it down or have Annual leave to spare. Also if you have the relevant skills they're looking for that will increase the chances of you getting something, if you don't that you need to work on plugging the gap
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        It's fraud. Don't do it.

Any background checks however basic will pick this up which means any work with public data or financial data is right out of the window let alone clients that do check references, which they do.

It's a barrier for a reason, new guys are untested and can be a risk. It isn't there just for a laugh.

Do not lie on your CV. It will come back and bite you.
        Thanks I'll keep that in mind,

How do I increase my chances of getting a contract in this market? I have over 8 years of dev. exp. but most of them as a permie.

Comment

Originally posted by acontractor View Post
          Thanks I'll keep that in mind,

How do I increase my chances of getting a contract in this market? I have over 8 years of dev. exp. but most of them as a permie.
          Keep plugging away. Use linkedin, post your CV up, keep applying. You could accept a slightly cheaper contract if you are desperate and be prepared to travel. Get a couple under your belt and then you are in with the big boys.

If it was that easy to get in to contracting from perm contracting would just die a death.

Lying or pretending to be something you are not will set 3 steps back before you have even started. Contracting isn't the golden goose every permie thinks it is as you can see.

Comment

You need the necessary skills for starters look at jobserve, get on LinkedIn if you're not already, revamp your C.V. etc

Are you comfortable with working away from home in different parts of the country or different countries?
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
              You need the necessary skills for starters look at jobserve, get on LinkedIn if you're not already, revamp your C.V. etc

Are you comfortable with working away from home in different parts of the country or different countries?
              I am willing to water plants if that's what is needed. working away is no barrier.

Comment

Even with years in contracting you need to expect to be on the bench a couple of months a year and have a war chest covering 6 months plus... It does happen, even to seasoned guys. If you get a solid year in bonus, if you work 10 out of 12 then that's how it goes.

Comment

i've seen quite a few of bobs cv's which look VERY suspect yet they don't seem to be affected by any checks etc

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                    i've seen quite a few of bobs cv's which look VERY suspect yet they don't seem to be affected by any checks etc
                    I would expect people are far to scared of being caught out by the race card. You can't even say no to someone with a barely understandable accent on a call desk nowadays. It does get my goat that what goes around doesn't come around for a lot of people but you can't go ahead and do stuff just because someone else got away with it.

We have had posters on here who (rather stupidly) asked for advice about what to do after getting walked for lying on a Security Check and about their financial situation so it does happen.

Comment

Working...
                    X