• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Experience with SQL Server 2008! Must be 2008!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience with SQL Server 2008! Must be 2008!

Does anyone know what makes SQL Server 2008 so special compared to all the others?

HR numpty; 'I'm looking for a tester and I see SQL Server experience in your CV, but it's very important to have experience with SQL Server 2008! Do you have that?

MTT; 'yes'

HR numpty; ' then can you please stress that in your CV and send it back to me within an hour?'

MTT; 'yes OK I'll do that'

But what makes 2008 so special? I've worked with SQL Server for donkey's years and I don't know.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Does anyone know what makes SQL Server 2008 so special compared to all the others?

HR numpty; 'I'm looking for a tester and I see SQL Server experience in your CV, but it's very important to have experience with SQL Server 2008! Do you have that?

MTT; 'yes'

HR numpty; ' then can you please stress that in your CV and send it back to me within an hour?'

But what makes 2008 so special? I've worked with SQL Server for donkey's years and I don't know.
    First question at your interview, mark my words!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

MTT; 'yes'

Maybe the grapes were good that year?
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Table variable parameters are cool

Comment

It´s a bad sign, it means that the market is so dire that they can reduce the hundreds of CV´s by being even more specific than they need to be, think of it as "because they can", Reminds of an answer some rock star gave about why do rock stars go out with gorgeous models, "because we can".
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Something to do with Spatial Data perhaps?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              Maybe the grapes were good that year?
              Nice answer; I'll use that.

Comment

merge!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Something to do with Spatial Data perhaps?
                  Yeah, but beyond the obvious please.

Thanks, turns out you're right too.

Comment

There's no major differences between 2005 and 2008 that any tester or developer would need to worry about.

I had a similar thing this morning. Someone asking for Windows Forms development experience alongside SQL Server. The conversation went:

Recruiter: "This role really needs Windows Forms. I see you've got that, but it's been four years since your last project with it."

Gentile: "Yes, I know how to use that technology. That project was a fairly major development with over 400 users, and I was the lead developer on it. Most people have asked for web development or WPF in recent years, but I still know Windows Forms inside out. Between ourselves, it's one of the easiest types of development you can do in .Net"

R: "But they're really looking for experience with recent releases of Windows Forms."

G: "Well they wont get any more recent than that. It's been replaced by WPF. Anyone building Windows Forms now is using the exact same core technology as I used in 2008."

R: "Yes, but that was four years ago."

G: "How many years has it been since you passed your driving test?, and what car did you pass it in? Ten years and a Micra? I'm guessing that you still know how to drive Micras even though you've been driving other cars since, would that be fair to say?"

She agreed to forward the CV, but I don't hold out much hope with someone that technology unaware presenting it.

Comment

Working...
                    X