• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In the last few weeks what ,could be my argument for NOT doing a handover........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the last few weeks what ,could be my argument for NOT doing a handover........

In the last few weeks of my contract what could be my argument for NOT doing a handover to some CONTRACTOR Bobs who have not helped me ever (only ever hindered me) ?

The work is not even my own and I've done minor enhancements to it.

I know you guys will say, 'its not professional', and 'you give contractors a bad name' ... but the manager there has right royally shafted me and I just don't fancy helping him out either on my way out. So what solid arguments could I give to the manager for refusing to do any handover work.

btw I am a developer not a support guy.

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
    In the last few weeks of my contract what could be my argument for NOT doing a handover to some CONTRACTOR Bobs who have not helped me ever (only ever hindered me) ?

I know you guys will say, 'its not professional', and 'you give contractors a bad name' ... but the manager there has right royally shafted me and I just don't fancy helping him out either on my way out. So what solid arguments could I give to the manager for refusing to do any handover work.

Well, that about covers that. But in answer to your question - MOO. You don't even need to be there for your final few weeks, let alone do a handover. Just say that under the no Mutuality of Obligation clause in your contract you're no longer available to accept any work that may be offered for the remaining term. Best not to, though, if only for selfish reasons: you never know when you might meet people again, or need a reference.

Comment

Have your invoices been paid?

If so man up and do the handover, how would you feel if some other guy was pissed before you started your next gig.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Send a substitute from the sub-continent.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Just sounds like spite. Do the handover, what are the chances they'll not be up to it anyway?
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Coming on here asking how to act like a tit... that is a new one.

Judging by your posting history we don't expect anything less from you tbh.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Yeah, this site is strictly for people who are already experts at acting like a tit.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Yeah, this site is strictly for people who are already experts at acting like a tit.
                So it's the ideal place to come for advice.

If you can't get a sub, arrange it for your last day and church a sickie.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

So what solid arguments could I give to the manager for refusing to do any handover work.
                  Buzz....

"Hello? Ah, yes... I appear to have broken my leg. Doc says best to stay indoors for the next few weeks and rest. Shouldn't really be using a phone, as I broke my hand too. Last time I go skydiving! I'll let the agency know. All the best to you and Bob."

Click.

On the other hand, if you were planning on invoicing, then simply turn up and do the minimal possible.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Judging by your posting history we don't expect anything less from you tbh.
                    Well, there was a thread on here many years ago where the poster asked the same question. His argument that he was not there to train people how to do a job and to help THEM understand code that he had not written. I remember something along the lines of him making parallels to him being a doctor, he would analyse the symptoms, give a diagnosis but not tell the patient HOW he came to the conclusion of his understanding of the illness.

I received no help in understanding the code, maintaining the code and running the code, nor should the Bobs.
                    Last edited by sbakoola; 5 September 2012, 20:00.

Comment

Working...
                    X