• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People who let out houses. Quick question.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who let out houses. Quick question.

What is the most ridiculous thing one of your tenants have done?

I will start the ball rolling:

I had a tenant call out an electrician to change a light bulb (recessed halogen) as they didn't want to damage the ceiling, and thus jeopardise their deposit. They then tried to fob the £45 bill onto me.

I am guessing the sparky is still laughing now.

Overflowing the bath into the flat below leaving me to sort out the insurance.

Knocking a screwed on mirror off the wall onto a bathroom sink breaking the mirror and cracking the sink then saying "it just fell off".

Leaving a water leak for a month before telling me by which time the wooden floor was irreparable.

Not being able to work a thermostat so leaving the heating and hot water on constant all summer.

Tenants, don't you just love them?
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post

Leaving a water leak for a month before telling me by which time the wooden floor was irreparable.
      I had one like this, in that their kid used to jump up and down in the bath, which eventually knocked the waste pipe off. Didn't report it until dap spread into the hallway and twisted a wooden floor.

Shame really, as both were incidents from our best tenant, a good egg, who's just a bit daft.

Comment

Flooding the downstairs flat when the fat git got into a bath.

Breaking the back of a sofa and then claiming it was like that when he moved in.

Wanting to get a puppy in a 3rd floor shared flat.

Attempted tree surgery in the front garden causing the whole thing to fall on the neighbours car.

Comment

oh and how many toilet seats is it possible for one person to F@~$%^g break ??

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            What is the most ridiculous thing one of your tenants have done?

I will start the ball rolling:

I had a tenant call out an electrician to change a light bulb (recessed halogen) as they didn't want to damage the ceiling, and thus jeopardise their deposit. They then tried to fob the £45 bill onto me.

I am guessing the sparky is still laughing now.
            Had this one as well but there were three bulbs so tried to charge me £65. Went ape at the agency for even agreeing to send the electrician out for this and they paid.

Same tenant also complained some of the numbers had rubbed off the dial on the cooker.... I laughed for about 30 seconds when the agent rang me.. before I realised she was serious. Went ape again and swapped agents two months later.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had one - and this is going back 14 years - who made chips and burnt out the entire house.

Insurance covered it.

Comment

I used to have a flat in which the tenant was a single mum (not that attractive either), a DSS tenant who would often go back up to her family place up in Yorkshire. It wasn't unusual for me to hear from me for months, but I didn't care because the council paid the full rent every month direct into my account.

Having not heard from her in a couple of months, I thought I should go round. I had left her plenty of voicemails indicating that I was coming round for an inspection etc so I let myself in, only to discover that the whole flat had been ransacked. The walls had been black spray-painted with some terrible depiction of moons and stars, then they had been egged, as had the carpet. The same pictoral pattern was gifted to me on the ceilings. Every damn room too.

A mirror had the word "whore" spray painted across it. Wonderful.

I eventually got hold of her and served her notice. I told her that I would pack all her things into one room and leave them there for her to pick up within 2 weeks, or it was going in the skip because I had sold the flat (I hadn't really but was going to). That kicked her into action.

Whilst packing her things away I found a set of dildos/vibrators, sex outfits (crotchless and the like), kinky handcuffs, and then numerous recent newspaper articles about her boyfriend who had just been sentenced to life for axing someone in the head up North. Thing is, I had met him a couple of years back when she moved in, and he seemed like a nice chap

I lodged an incident with the Police, which helped my insurance claim and then made sure that the council lost their deposit on this one!

Comment

my Dad's tenants not not mine. I was a nipper at the time.

Before we knew her she was knocking around with one of the top local Villains. They split up she got an injunction, she rented a flat off my dad to get away (she didn't tell my Dad who she was shagging - I doubt even a softy like him would have got involved if he knew who 'her special man was') then she missed him, rang him up and told him where she lived - she told us he had followed her home after spotting her.

The villain boyfriend turned up, slapped her about quite badly, my Dad found her another one of his flats in another town so she could be safe (Police were hopeless). Then the villain turns up at Dad's office and tried to extract the Bimbo's address from my father with using a crash helmet to punctuate the question.

We ended up with Police protection for a while until they sent him & his brothers down (for armed Robbery I think).

--------------------------------------

Then there was the one who didn't notice the damp from washing his clothes on the floor, of course when we actually could get in the room and found the rot which meant a new floor he had done a moonlight flit and left without paying 3 months rent. This was 30 + years ago, eviction was even more difficult then.

--------------------------------------

There was the nice gent from Africa who had fish curry every week, however it was traditional fish curry with rotten fish and it smelt rancid much to the disappointment of the other tenants. He was a nice guy but the stench was unreal.

-------------------------------------
                  The nice Chinese gents who constantly threw their spare rice down the drain, rotting rice blocks drains and stinks like nothing else.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    I used to have a flat in which the tenant was a single mum (not that attractive either), a DSS tenant who would often go back up to her family place up in Yorkshire. It wasn't unusual for me to hear from me for months, but I didn't care because the council paid the full rent every month direct into my account.

Having not heard from her in a couple of months, I thought I should go round. I had left her plenty of voicemails indicating that I was coming round for an inspection etc so I let myself in, only to discover that the whole flat had been ransacked. The walls had been black spray-painted with some terrible depiction of moons and stars, then they had been egged, as had the carpet. The same pictoral pattern was gifted to me on the ceilings. Every damn room too.

A mirror had the word "whore" spray painted across it. Wonderful.

I eventually got hold of her and served her notice. I told her that I would pack all her things into one room and leave them there for her to pick up within 2 weeks, or it was going in the skip because I had sold the flat (I hadn't really but was going to). That kicked her into action.

Whilst packing her things away I found a set of dildos/vibrators, sex outfits (crotchless and the like), kinky handcuffs, and then numerous recent newspaper articles about her boyfriend who had just been sentenced to life for axing someone in the head up North. Thing is, I had met him a couple of years back when she moved in, and he seemed like a nice chap

I lodged an incident with the Police, which helped my insurance claim and then made sure that the council lost their deposit on this one!
                    we have a winner!

Comment

Working...
                    X