• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People who rent houses. Quick question.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who rent houses. Quick question.

What is the most ridiculous thing one of your landlords have done?

I will start the ball rolling:

I had one landlord who after seeing his property value rise over the late 90's decided to sell it, kicking us all out in the process.
    2 days before we leave he phones up to say that Cable and Wireless needed a months notice to cancel the cable TV. He'd have to take that out of our deposits.

Now, given that the cable TV was in HIS name and bills were sent to HIS house and we never saw a single bill, let alone had the ability to cancel it and he had known about the fact it would need cancelling for over a month, the fact he now wanted us to pay for his procrastination was insulting to say the least. Eventually his wife managed to get him to see sense.
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    What is the most ridiculous thing one of your landlords have done?
    Let their house to me?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I had a landlord who didn't pay her mortgage, meaning out of the blue I got a notice of reposession and a warning that an eviction notice would follow. When I eventually got someone at the building society to talk to me they told me that the eviction would give 4 weeks notice, so I just stayed put and lived rent free. For about 5 months, and then the eviction notice arrived giving me 7 days notice. Which meant a week in a B&B and a bit of a battle trying to get some stuff back that I had no choice but to leave behind.

But it was okay in the end. Bought a new car with the money I'd saved.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        I had a landlord who didn't pay her mortgage, meaning out of the blue I got a notice of reposession and a warning that an eviction notice would follow. When I eventually got someone at the building society to talk to me they told me that the eviction would give 4 weeks notice, so I just stayed put and lived rent free. For about 5 months, and then the eviction notice arrived giving me 7 days notice. Which meant a week in a B&B and a bit of a battle trying to get some stuff back that I had no choice but to leave behind.

But it was okay in the end. Bought a new car with the money I'd saved.
        Exactly the same happened to me. The rental agent even KNEW about the repossession and the first I heard was a month AFTER signing a new 12 month agreement. I played the insolvency people off against the rental agent who could not agree who had to terminate and carry out the inspections etc. so I got 4 months rent free and my deposit back. Muppets. I should really have taken the agent to court but I couldn't be a******d.

Comment

The ancient bath tub which probably was not replaced for decades started to leak. Got in touch with landlord who kept promising that someone would come and sort it. After several months of inaction we decided to move out since out 6 months contract finished. After moving out, we find that the f*ckwit landlord deducted 600 quids from deposit to pay for the bath tub which we allegedly broke.

Moved into a property and never used any cutlery or crockery since we had our own. When we moved out 200 quid was deducted for wear and tear of kitchen utensils. Never touched any of them. Tried to get money back but both agent and landlord would put phone down on me.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
          X