• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Save the children

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save the children

UK child poverty: it shouldn't happen here | Save the Children UK

Just where exactly are their priorities? Looking after fat kids with roofs over their heads or this?

Poverty in Africa: Inside the Problem
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Just where exactly are their priorities? Looking after fat kids with roofs over their heads or this?

Leftie alert.

Comment

"Right now, in this country, children are going to school hungry because they don't get a proper breakfast."

I bet their parents spend the money on 4WD, sky sports, beer, fags, mobile phones etcetc.

Maybe benefits should be paid in vouchers that can only be redeemed on food and other household essentials?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        "Right now, in this country, children are going to school hungry because they don't get a proper breakfast."

I bet their parents spend the money on 4WD, sky sports, beer, fags, mobile phones etcetc.

Maybe benefits should be paid in vouchers that can only be redeemed on food and other household essentials?
        Apparently some of them have to go to school in non branded shoes! They must have sorted out the problems of child poverty in the rest of the world and are now concentrating on the UK or they have a strange understanding of what constitutes poverty.
        There is of course another answer which is that they are a bunch of lefties trying to manipulate the government into taxing and spending more.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Charity starts at home; there are kids (& adults) in true poverty in the UK, and not always of their own making.
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            It's just propaganda from the capitalist breakfast cereal companies.
            Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
              Charity starts at home; there are kids (& adults) in true poverty in the UK, and not always of their own making.
              Agree.

Many "3rd world" countries could I'm sure better feed their populations if their governments were not spending money on weapons and wars (*). I object to being tapped for cash to save children in countries that do nothing to help themselves.

(*) Mind you, this could apply to the US as well as swathes of Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                I really cannot see anyone being in true poverty. For me, being in true poverty means no blanket, no security at all. From what I can see, the minimum standards applied, you get rent paid, council tax paid, child benefit and social benefits. No matter if that leaves you on the bread line, it's still not true poverty. For me true poverty is going to the tip to find food, and going hungry if you cant, of not being able to protect yourself from the elements.

Its obviously relative, but no, I haven't seen true poverty in this country.

Comment

How much of the poverty is down to "lifestyle choices" or poor parenting and how much is down to environment. In African countries children die because of corrupt governments that lead to complete breakdown s of law and infrastructure. So my point is that presumably save the children have limited resources so why are they devoting them to UK children when there are more disastrous examples of poverty elsewhere.

Comment

Africa if they stopped shooting each other blowing things up and spending all the Aid on new BMW's for the royalty they might have a chance. Only thing we can do is convert aid from money into building things people really need.

I think there is some true poverty in the UK but I suspect that is due to people not taking advantage of benefits or spending wisely rather than lack of benefits.

I was talking to a chap for the first time who had a mutual friend who just died (undiagnosed heart problem - RIP Pete you were a very nice guy).

Pete's son has mental issues and at 30 is now without a carer, he gets his benefits and spends it on new skateboards food is not a priority. Little old ladies heating big houses and eating beans to make ends meet, The single mum buying McDonalds every meal for the kids.

Now all of them may be in poverty but with assistance they could survive better.
                    Last edited by vetran; 6 September 2012, 14:17. Reason: tautology
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X