• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perks being made available for Contractors ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perks being made available for Contractors ?

I'm pursuing work possibilities in London. Haven't worked in UK for about 8 years so a pointer or two please.

The place where I currently work on the continent has excellent heavily subsidised restaurants, practically free brand new gym in the same building and a few other well discounted things. One needs to keep toned and I've heard how pricey and busy and stinky London gyms are. There is no distinction between perm and consultant and contractor to use these facilities here. No 'them' and 'us'. Of course we slag off the perms but the business treats us the same in this respect.

Can I expect that in the City ? Specifically CSFB / BNP Paribas / Goldman Sachs ?

I think any kind of barriers would be counter-productive to building a team .... but that's not going to stop some petty-minded loser manager / director putting his foot down to piss off the non-perms.

Long time ago I did a short stint at a law outfit Ashurst Morris Crisp in Liverpool St and we weren't even supposed to enjoy the slightly discounted but highly convenient little tuck-shop. The IT manager thought openly putting down contract staff would be a good team-building, morale booster for his crappy perm group. Yeah ... like that worked for about 1 week. Doh !

Angela

Note to pimps: bit too late for you to get in on these names or I wouldn't name them ;-)

Pettiness and UK managers are synonymous. So yes, you can expect that in the city.

Also as to gyms etc. what is normal on the continent is generally only found in some head offices of some major corps in London.

I remember a company in Derby that had showers: it was where the testers had their office.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Few companies have their own and if they do they don't tend to be particularly extensive, however there are a number of nice private gyms in the city, you will be looking at around £100+ a month. I used to work for British American Tobacco who provided subsidised gym membership toa nice gym, also they had a fantastic restaurant and bar where lunch was free and drinks very cheap. So depends where you work. London is expensive, but the rates are generally some of the best in the world (in my experience). I'm not sure what you mean by stinky gyms? What do you think people do when they go to the gym? Maybe they could ban people who break sweat?
      Last edited by Joe Black.; 13 June 2006, 19:19.

Comment

CSFB have a pretty basic gym that they share with Barcap - they'll charge you £80/month for access to it regardless of whether you're perm or contract.

Comment

Any chance of some piccies of your toned and hard body Angela?

Comment

Joe ... that's funny. But I think you know how stale sweat can 'hang around' in some places. I can imagine beer-gutted English blokes try their best to work out a bit and sweating bricks.

And then you need to sit on the same bit of kit. Urgh !!

Dim Prawn: check out google images for that kind of thing. "pert toned women (desperately seeking IT geek)" You might get a result.

With all these cute East Europeans I've heard about in London there is a bit of competition now.

Comment

Originally posted by Angela_D
              I'm pursuing work possibilities in London. Haven't worked in UK for about 8 years so a pointer or two please.

The place where I currently work on the continent has excellent heavily subsidised restaurants, practically free brand new gym in the same building and a few other well discounted things. One needs to keep toned and I've heard how pricey and busy and stinky London gyms are. There is no distinction between perm and consultant and contractor to use these facilities here. No 'them' and 'us'. Of course we slag off the perms but the business treats us the same in this respect.

Can I expect that in the City ? Specifically CSFB / BNP Paribas / Goldman Sachs ?

I think any kind of barriers would be counter-productive to building a team .... but that's not going to stop some petty-minded loser manager / director putting his foot down to piss off the non-perms.

Long time ago I did a short stint at a law outfit Ashurst Morris Crisp in Liverpool St and we weren't even supposed to enjoy the slightly discounted but highly convenient little tuck-shop. The IT manager thought openly putting down contract staff would be a good team-building, morale booster for his crappy perm group. Yeah ... like that worked for about 1 week. Doh !

Angela

Note to pimps: bit too late for you to get in on these names or I wouldn't name them ;-)
              Current legal thinking/advice in the light of the recent Muscat case means that companies are being strongly advised not to extend any perks/discounts/subsidies - even social invites - to contractors; and to ensure that they are as dissimilar to permies in every way possible in terms of the work environment and conditions.

It's not a case of 'trying to piss-off the non-perms' but risk avoidance in a very uncertain legal environment. I think you'll probably find that a fairly common approach in the City, although that's the 'official' line. What happens in reality may well be different.

I think I've asked you this before - do you want to be a business or a temp worker? You seem to want the financial benefits of being a business but the 'perks' of being a temp worker. You need to decide what you want to be.

Comment

Watch out - it may affect your IR35 status!
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Hmm, yes, I hadn't considered the possible legal implications (of using a gym / cafe). You may well be right on this one. Its never easy is it !

My status: there's no confusion to me. I don't care if I'm labelled (or in fact) a consultant, contractor, temp, perma-temp, perm, director, employee, shareholder, stakeholder, a business, a tulipkicker or whatever etc
                  I just want to bring in as much moolah as possible and spend as little as possible. I hate spending money when its not needed. I mean ... I really hate that.

Maybe wanting to turn over a good coin makes me a pariah in some circles.

Comment

It dosent worry me about company perks , if they are there then great if not then so what.

When I go into a company to do contract work I assume myself to be the same as any outsource business , if an engineer turns up to fix the photocopier then I wouldnt expect him or her to have access to the company facilities , although I dont fix photocopiers I dont see myself as any different from that person.

Know what you mean about other peoples sweat on training equipment , its disgusting , fortunately where I am now they have a dress code that cuts down the problem , but I always bring a towel anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X