• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bruges - where to eat? what to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruges - where to eat? what to do?

So, ideas about going to the dutch coast didn't go through as any place worthwhile staying in was fully booked, so 2nd choice is Bruges. Hotel is booked, just a few mins walk from dead center of the city.

Gf Chef and I are spending the weekend there from this afternoon, my question is, does anyone have any recommendations for places to eat? and things to do?

cheers

Chef
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

I seem to remember from the film there is some sort of tower thing you can go up and some canals.

Looks a very photogenic place actually.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      So, ideas about going to the dutch coast didn't go through as any place worthwhile staying in was fully booked, so 2nd choice is Bruges. Hotel is booked, just a few mins walk from dead center of the city.

Gf Chef and I are spending the weekend there from this afternoon, my question is, does anyone have any recommendations for places to eat? and things to do?

cheers

Chef
      Do the "In Bruges" Bruges tour.. most places in the centre are great, but expensive.. if you walk a little way outside the centre the quality will be just as good but a little cheaper.. obviously the boat ride is good fun and a great way to see the place and get a guided tour, the walk to the top of the tower is good if not a little tight at the top.. Enjoy a Leffe Blonde for me!

Comment

Went there for a few days before last Christmas.

One thing I noticed is that most places won't serve drinks unless you are also eating.

Craenenburg on the main square (Markt?) was our favourite place for lunch. They do Fantastic waffles too.
        Last edited by wurzel; 7 September 2012, 08:28.

Comment

There's a nice chocolate shop in the square... yum !

Other than that I don't remember

Comment

Went there a few years ago - it's a great city for a weekend break.

Highly recommend the brewery tour - did you know there are over 800 different types of Belgium beer ?

Comment

Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
              did you know there are over 800 different types of Belgium beer ?
              I lost count. hic!

Comment

Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
                Went there a few years ago - it's a great city for a weekend break.

Highly recommend the brewery tour - did you know there are over 800 different types of Belgium beer ?
                We stopped for a few days in Namur once, and happened across a bar which claimed to stock the largest selection of Belgian beer. Jesus H I didn't realise how many they had, and most very strong too.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  We stopped for a few days in Namur once, and happened across a bar which claimed to stock the largest selection of Belgian beer. Jesus H I didn't realise how many they had, and most very strong too.
                  Indeed...the day we got there we sat out for a mid afternoon drink in the main square. Mrs F ordered a glass of Coke as it was 2pm, I thought i'd try something more 'exotic' so ordered a local lager. This goldfish bowl of beer turned up - 10 mins later i was rat-ar$ed and drooling all over the my shirt. Turns out the standard lager was 9% loopy juice - what a great old place it is

Comment

These places are a must: Bierbrasserie Cambrinus & De Halve Maan Both offer traditional hearty food and an extensive beer list and the brewery does a surprisingly good tour.

I would also highly recommend the bike tour: Welcome to Quasimundo bike tours good for finding some gems off the beaten track.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X