• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Culture Wars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Culture Wars

Spinning off from the other thread a bit, Mrs EO has been having a few sleepless nights over the 'Culture wars' at work.
    Now the missus is very PC, she doesnt have a racist thought in her pretty head, and when she hears me go on, her eyes roll so much that one day they will roll right out of her head.

But...whats happeneing at work is making her very angry.

She is a nurse in charge of teams of carers who look after kids with serious medical needs who live at home. One of the families is Asian and they will only have asian carers, and only carers from a specific group. I think they or their families all originated from the same village 'back home'.

The problem is that they have very strong unwritten rules. So one of the carers who has been doing the job for two years, is ten years older than mum, so she has a matriarchal position. She is automatically 'in charge'. just by turning up at the house, mum has to defer, and is at this carers bidding. Mrs EO can not tell the carer what to do, or check meds etc if mum is in the room. If she wants to do an appraisal, it becomes a nightmare organising things.

A few months ago, they hired a new carer. She is slightly older in age to mum, so she moved straight into the slot of 'respected sister', and her friend, who is not a carer(but comes along for the ride), is the same age as mum and automatically becomes the 'sister confidante'. This girl, who has only been in the house five minutes, has the automatic right to ask the most personal questions of mum, based on her age and where she comes from.

They all started arguing about their roles in 'the family' lots of jealousy, lying, conniving, stitching each other up, tears and cat-fights

Now dad is getting involved, laying down the law, trying to organise the shift pattern, telling the missus to hire more people (but no blacks please)
    He has taken to ringing at all hours, with increasingly outrageous demands. Its only a matter of time before I take the phone and tell him to fck off back where he came from

It's a right mess. an alien culture

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

These things happen because we allow them.

You'll have to excuse me, I don't know if you're from UK or not, but here we have a bunch of spineless sycophants who cannot think for themselves if their life depended on it. These are the people who allow things like this to happen.

In my eyes, I couldn't give a freaking tulip where you are from and what rules there are where you come from. If you miss them and want to live by them then bloody go back where you came from.

You know what they say ... when in Rome ...

Anyway, don't get me started on the subject ...

Comment

Originally posted by LumbaBread View Post

You'll have to excuse me, I don't know if you're from UK or not, but here we have a bunch of spineless sycophants who cannot think for themselves if their life depended on it. These are the people who allow things like this to happen.

In my eyes, I couldn't give a freaking tulip where you are from and what rules there are where you come from. If you miss them and want to live by them then bloody go back where you came from.

Don't get him started on the subject!!!
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

good post!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yes it's terrible that we fail to impose a rigid monoculture. West is Best!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It's terrible when we fail to impose our culture but allow others to impose theirs. If I had a carer would I be allowed to force her to drink beer and suck me off? I don't think so, but in my village that's what we did.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It has nothing to do with that. As a foreigner, if you go somewhere else you should be prepared to embrace that culture and become part of it. Otherwise what is the point ?

If you don't like it, don't go there, it's as simple as that and more importantly do not impose your ways onto those people.

Does it make sense ?
              How would you feel if I came into your house and ask you to bugger off because in my country the law says I can choose any house I want and kick the rightful owner out when I please, simply because I own more cows ...
              Heck I'll even take your woman while I am at it, not the children though, you can keep those ...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                It's terrible when we fail to impose our culture but allow others to impose theirs. If I had a carer would I be allowed to force her to drink beer and suck me off? I don't think so, but in my village that's what we did.
                Your wife didn't fall for that and neither am I.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  If I had a carer would I be allowed to force her to drink beer and suck me off? I don't think so, but in my village that's what we did.

It's a bummer for her, but the missus has to wait till she gets home for that

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It has nothing to do with that. As a foreigner, if you go somewhere else you should be prepared to embrace that culture and become part of it. Otherwise what is the point ?
                    Of course, if you move to another culture you should change who you are to fit in? Never mind those generations of culture and your own identity.

If you don't like it, don't go there, it's as simple as that and more importantly do not impose your ways onto those people.

Does it make sense ?
                    How would you feel if I came into your house and ask you to bugger off because in my country the law says I can choose any house I want and kick the rightful owner out when I please, simply because I own more cows ...
                    Um, we're talking about what happens in the Asian person's home in EO's scenario.

Comment

Working...
                    X