• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What beautiful car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What beautiful car?

A "what would I buy if I won the lottery" train of thought has led me to seriously consider buy a Range Rover Evoque.

Despite the fact that I have zero need for 4WD and have never liked SUV's, the Evoque has higher kerb appeal than any other car I am aware of, that meets my constraints.

A Jaguar XF would be cheaper and have a better engine and much more advanced gearbox, 8-speed dual-clutch compared to Evoque conventional automatic. I don't care, the Evoque is better looking. (Also the XF is 20cm longer than my car, which is inconveniently long, would like my next car to be shorter. The Evoque is shorter than a Golf, apparently, so it must be its width and height that make it look comparatively gigantic.)

Is there anything else that beautiful on the outside and luxurious inside? I require 4-5 doors, price limit 35K. As a guidline, luxury will usually imply a choice of several colours for the interior. So anyone who offers only black/grey is probably out of the running. BMW do offer beige, which I suppose almost counts as a colour. But it's hardly exciting compared to say having your dashboard and door inserts in dark cherry, one of several colour schemes the Evoque offers.

I thought I'd found a non-SUV that was equally attractive in the form of the Citroen DS5, but the reviews of what's it's like to drive turned out to be poor.

I like Porsche Panamera, but obviously ruled out by cost.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 7 September 2012, 15:02.

I'll be looking for an SUV or Landrover type thing soon.

What kind of price is one looking at for a reliable 2nd hand one? Also, are any models better or worse than others?

Slightly silly questions I know, because one could discuss all the pros and cons forever. But just as a rough idea ..
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Nissan Murano Diesel Rare, they stopped importing them about a year ago. Fully equipped, love mine. Electric boot, sat nav Bose stereo, tinted windows, electric heated seats, all standard NOT options. About £27k or slightly less.

MPG around 29mpg. They do a 3.5 V6 petrol which is the same engine as the 350Z and that's around 20mpg.

Fully supported as still available in Europe. So no issue with parts.

Go and sit in one at a Nissan garage, you'll be sold on it.

Last edited by Scrag Meister; 7 September 2012, 15:11.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
        A "what would I buy if I won the lottery" train of thought has led me to seriously consider buy a Range Rover Evoque.
        Is is only me that thinks that looks like a squashed Range Rover?
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Probably an Aston Martin.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post

Despite the fact that I have zero need for 4WD and have never liked SUV's, the Evoque has higher kerb appeal than any other car I am aware of, that meets my constraints.

A Jaguar XF would be cheaper and have a better engine and much more advanced gearbox, 8-speed dual-clutch compared to Evoque conventional automatic. I don't care, the Evoque is better looking. (Also the XF is 20cm longer than my car, which is inconveniently long, would like my next car to be shorter. The Evoque is shorter than a Golf, apparently, so it must be its width and height that make it look comparatively gigantic.)

Is there anything else that beautiful on the outside and luxurious inside? I require 4-5 doors, price limit 35K. As a guidline, luxury will usually imply a choice of several colours for the interior. So anyone who offers only black/grey is probably out of the running. BMW do offer beige, which I suppose almost counts as a colour. But it's hardly exciting compared to say having your dashboard and door inserts in dark cherry, one of several colour schemes the Evoque offers.

I thought I'd found a non-SUV that was equally attractive in the form of the Citroen DS5, but the reviews of what's it's like to drive turned out to be poor.

I like Porsche Panamera, but obviously ruled out by cost.
            Struggle to find an evoque for £35k.

Murano is a great shout.

Merc CLS oozes class and is very slinky

If I had £35k to spend, it would be another 2 yo GL320 Merc, or 3 yo Range Rover.

A new VW microbus is coming pout soon and looks soooooooo cooooool

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Is is only me that thinks that looks like a squashed Range Rover?
              Me too - looks like King Kong sat on the back of it and squished it.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                Me too - looks like King Kong sat on the back of it and squished it.
                A bit like Spod then
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Last year for a week in Cornwall I hired a Mitsubishi Shogun, think it was a newer model, really impressed with it, for a big 4x4 you could turn it on a sixpence.

I do like the Evoque though, from front on they look like Bull terriers.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Money no object?

I will be looking at $250,000 for a mint original '67

Real world non lottery win and nice car would be the XF
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X