• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uk Limited Company Paid By Uk Agent But Working In France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uk Limited Company Paid By Uk Agent But Working In France

I am setting up a uk ltd company to offer my consultancy services. I have been offered a number of positions in the UK Norway and France. I prefer the french option.

My ltd company will be paid by a UK company based in london, however it is expected that I will have to spend most of my year working in france reviewing and inspecting a work scope.

I plan on renting an apartment out in france and come home to the uk most weekends. Weekends I dont come home my wife will be flying out to stay with me.

Its a 12 month contract, however this is expected to be extended after the initial 12 months.

Questions I have include,

Can I claim back flights / accommodation for the first 2 years?

How much tax / national insurance will I have to pay, and what country? (I am unsure if I am better off working in the UK due to French tax / NI)

Will E101 apply to me?

I have spoken to a number of accountants in the UK and none have been able to inform me on what my tax situation will be.

Can anyone offer advice on this, or possibly put me in touch with an accountant who will?

This is my first contracting job and I am beginning to think I may be better off just working in the UK.

Thanks

Talk to a French accountant. You almost certainly will be resident for tax purposes in France. You may well also be resident in the UK. Therefore you will be taxed at the highest rate, of either country. There's a double taxation treaty so you won't be taxed twice.

Check VERY carefully the rules about contracting in France. It may not even be possible via a UK ltd co.

Your health should be covered by E101, but it might not really cover enough, so you should look at getting proper French health insurance. It might even be a requirement for living over there longer term - which you plan.

You cannot claim for your wife's flights. You can claim for accomodation - but only yours, not your wife's.

You may want to consider settling in France, and have your wife flying to the UK each week... then you'd be under the French approach to expenses etc.

Try googling "uk contracting in France". The first hit is Contracting in France - Accountants UK - SJD Accountancy Maybe you should chat to them?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You need to take advice in France. Generally tax yourself where you work, and the Ltd wouldn't necessarily be the most tax efficient solution in France.

What you can't do is simply set up a UK Ltd and work all over Europe without registering your Ltd in those countries where you get contracts even if you invoice through a UK agency. Contractors regularly get into serious trouble with the respective local VAT and tax collectors. You always need professional advice in which ever country you'll be working, as well as advice on tax implications in the UK.

On the whole it's complicated.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

..and your contract may well require proper health insurance, not the tourist type E101.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
        X