• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oi woman, get back in the kitchen!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oi woman, get back in the kitchen!

LONDON (Reuters) - Married men earn more than bachelors so long as their wives stay at home doing the housework, according to a report on Wednesday from Britain's Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER).

Academics Elena Bardasi and Mark Taylor found that a married man whose wife does not go out to work but is primarily responsible for the cooking and cleaning earns about 3 percent more than comparably employed single men.

But that wage premium disappears if wives go out to work themselves or don't do most of the housework.

"It has been fairly well documented that married men earn more than single men," Taylor, a labour economist, told Reuters.

"However, our research established the wage premium is related to the wife doing the chores," said the academic who teaches at the University of Essex.

He said analysis suggests there could be two explanations for the results:

A marriage might allow a husband and wife to focus their activities on tasks to which they are most suited. Traditionally, this would result in the man concentrating on paid work enabling him to increase productivity and in consequence his wages.

Taylor said another explanation could be that marriage may increase the amount of time a man has to hone work-related skills which could trigger higher wages.

Taylor and Bardasi analysed the hourly wages of 3,500 men who have been interviewed annually since 1991 as part of the British Household Panel Survey.

"We looked at all types of jobs from unskilled up to managers and professionals," Taylor said.

said the academic who teaches at the University of Essex
    I think that tells you everything you need to know about the quality of research involved.

Comment

said the academic who teaches at the University of Essex.
      He said analysis suggests there could be two explanations for the results:

A marriage might allow a husband and wife to focus their activities on tasks to which they are most suited. Traditionally, this would result in the man concentrating on paid work enabling him to increase productivity and in consequence his wages.

Taylor said another explanation could be that marriage may increase the amount of time a man has to hone work-related skills which could trigger higher wages.
      Sounds like they had already decided the answer.How about rich men with trophy wifes or women working because they have to!

Poor research not considering confounding factors!
      They need to read up on cause and association.

Snap wageslave!

Comment

For 3% more only, I don't think it's worth to be the:rolleyes only money provider in the family.

Comment

Franco, stop whinging, it's only money!

Comment

Forgetting the bad science, this does make some sense.

The reason is simple, based on my experience:

When you have a live-in girlfriend or wife, you don't stay late at bars and clubs trying to pick up totty. Hence you drink less. Hence your performance at work is better. I would have thought its more than 3% better though.

Comment

russians

what about men who are married to Russian wives?? do they earn more?? must be!!!

Comment

Re: russians

what about men who are married to Russian wives?? do they earn more?? must be!!!
                Do I...do I feck >:

Comment

"what about men who are married to Russian wives?? do they earn more?? must be!!! "

Actually that's the complete opposite. They know how not to waste money. Comunism wasn't that bad from some aspects and certainly taught people how you don't need so much money to be happy and look good. And the proof is how they manage to dress sexy and elegant with cheap clothes, while western women struggle to look sexier than a clown in a circus even with clothes worth thousands of pounds.

Comment

And the proof is how they manage to dress sexy and elegant with cheap clothes
                    Franco, I certainly agree with the spirit of your post, and I applaud you for constantly defending Russian women. However, you obviously haven't seen the price of clothes in Russia recently.

Comment

Working...
                    X