• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Medical Insurance - Ltd or private?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical Insurance - Ltd or private?

As I reached the milestone of 40 recently I am thinking of getting my own medical insurance for me and my 2 kids (13 and 10). I used to have PPP with my previous employer but have been insurance free for the last 2 years since I started contracting.

After getting tennis elbow (playing golf of all things!) and starting treatment, my physio bill has got quite large - all of which I am told would be covered on insurance. So I am thinking of looking into private medical cover - you never know when you might need it.

Would I be better getting insurance through my limited company and then getting a BIK charge, or simply paying through my personal bank account? I think this forum offers a discount to a medical insurance provider - anyone used them? Pros and cons to either method?

Thanks for any advice.

Don't bother.

I had private healthcare through a company I went with perm a few years back. I then moved that to the Ltd when I went contracting again. Cost about £180 per month for myself, 2 kids, wife etc. I was also having physio and was allowed a max of £800 a year towards it as part of a pre-existing condition.

When I ported over they broke the kids one. Shortly after I needed to use it for my then 2 year old. They then sited 'pre-existing condition' in the last two years. Needless to say I went mental as he had been born with the issue!! Fricking pre-existing!!!

If you take one out, they will not cover any existing issues you have as a pre-existing condition. In the end I cancelled mine. Son had his operation on the NHS and my thinking was just to pay out when and if. You could take out a 'critical' cover and continue to pay for physio yourself, I think that would work out cheaper.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Agree with MF. The cost is unbelievable and they try to wangle out of it all the time....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I spoke to my accountant about this recently and it isn't worth putting through the business, just do it personally.

WPA do some discount if you mention CUK or PCG, can't remember which. Raymond Lamb is your man. 020 8995 0059

You will have to fill out a pretty detail history of what you have had and they will not touch anything that you have had in the past. No way can you have your phsyio paid for by a new insurance. They insure you against injury and the costs related to get better, not pay your bills for existing injuries just because you fancy it. They can be very tight as MF says but gotta apply some common.

I had PPP as permie and used it for three ops on my knees and it was bloody fab so am bought in to it if you ever needed it. As MF said though, I am prepared for them to pull the crap that all insurers do nowadays and then I will cancel but I am giving it a go for the time being.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you get any health insurance it is worth getting a print out from your doctor showing your medical history. As you can't guarantee that you will remember everything & should you need to make a claim the insurance company will look at your doctors notes & go “that unidentified headache you had 3 years ago is linked to this new illness, therefore it is a pre-existing & we do not have to pay”

They tried a similar thing on BGG when he got his MS diagnosis, but as he submitted a list when he took the policy out he was able to slap them down & get the pay-out.
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
          X