• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HomeCare100

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeCare100

Hi,

Any landlords here please with experience of British Gas "HomeCare100" contracts for Boiler cover?
    My house is due to be rented out this week so I thought I check here first before I phone BG in case I need to be aware of exclusions or any pitfalls before signing with them.

Also, since the boiler is a Baxi Combi, Is there any point in the 200 offer since central heating problems are usually boiler related?

Thanks.

Originally posted by BS1397 View Post
    Hi,

Any landlords here please with experience of British Gas "HomeCare100" contracts for Boiler cover?
    My house is due to be rented out this week so I thought I check here first before I phone BG in case I need to be aware of exclusions or any pitfalls before signing with them.

Also, since the boiler is a Baxi Combi, Is there any point in the 200 offer since central heating problems are usually boiler related?

Thanks.
    Definitely worth taking out before renting a house. A lot of landlords take British Gas cover. I haven't on my recent BTL. It's got oil.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks.
      I have the product that covers all plumbing, central heating and boiler related issues on a couple of properties. When you sign up they'll send an engineer out to check everything and issue the gas safety certificates, as it's British Gas they'll pick you up on anything that's not to current regs. As long as everything is in working order then you'll be covered going forwards.

Once covered it's really quite useful - I've had several problems arise that I've referred straight to British Gas and they've sent an engineer out immediately and fixed things. Given the cost of repairs and safety certificates then to me the cover has pretty much paid for itself. Plus it removes the ball ache of having to try and find reliable tradesmen...

Comment

Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
        I have the product that covers all plumbing, central heating and boiler related issues on a couple of properties. When you sign up they'll send an engineer out to check everything and issue the gas safety certificates, as it's British Gas they'll pick you up on anything that's not to current regs. As long as everything is in working order then you'll be covered going forwards.

Once covered it's really quite useful - I've had several problems arise that I've referred straight to British Gas and they've sent an engineer out immediately and fixed things. Given the cost of repairs and safety certificates then to me the cover has pretty much paid for itself. Plus it removes the ball ache of having to try and find reliable tradesmen...
        Had some marketing about this, and am considering it at home. Will keep an eye on this thread.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          Had some marketing about this, and am considering it at home. Will keep an eye on this thread.
          Ive got it at home. It's worth the money IMHO. Our heating seems to pack up 2/3 times a year and they're out within 48 hours. Parts and labour included.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            I've got it with npower for my home as they're a bit cheaper. As MF says it's worth every penny - by the time you've had the service done it's almost paid for itself. On top of that we've also had two brand new radiators fitted by them without having to pay a penny over the usual premium...

Comment

Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post

Thank you all, I am going ahead with that as it is good common sense, but I was just a little apprehensive that BG might take advantage of the certification process and treat the inspection as a selling opportunity for either a new boiler or be over strict so they can charge extra to issue the certificate when other "Gas Safe" engineers might consider the system to be acceptable within the rules.
              My boiler was installed and serviced by a CORGI though it is discontinued now.

I will phone them this afternoon. Cheers.
              Last edited by BS1397; 10 September 2012, 09:39.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Ive got it at home. It's worth the money IMHO. Our heating seems to pack up 2/3 times a year and they're out within 48 hours. Parts and labour included.
                48 Hours might be a problem as a landlord because I doubt if the tenants will be happy if they have to wait that long, I would have thought a business contract might have lower SLA times?

Comment

48 Hours might be a problem as a landlord because I doubt if the tenants will be happy if they have to wait that long, I would have thought a business contract might have lower SLA times?
                  I don't believe it's a business contract you get. It's the same homecare package whether you're resident or not. The missus always gives some schpeel about kids to get them to come out quicker.

Comment

We've got homecare200 and the renewal letter came last week. However the price has gone from £16 -> £24. I asked why the 50% increase and they muttered and mumbled and said we could have it for £19.75 so a mere 25% increase.
                    I looked around and eon offer a similar package for £16 / month.

Comment

Working...
                    X