• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working slowly to justify your position

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working slowly to justify your position

Ever done this?

At the minute i'm on a project with 2 devs and a tester. Us 2 devs are chowing through the work way ahead of schedule and the tester is proving the bottleneck.

I'm semi worried when they find out how easy we are finding the workload they'll get rid of me.

So should we just work slower?

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    Ever done this?

At the minute i'm on a project with 2 devs and a tester. Us 2 devs are chowing through the work way ahead of schedule and the tester is proving the bottleneck.

I'm semi worried when they find out how easy we are finding the workload they'll get rid of me.

I've been known to churn work out at a faster rate than other contractors/permies. The way I see it, once the work is finished, it's finished and I move on to something else. Depends if you have issues getting contracts.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I can find it hard because i am quite young and have a short CV. I'm on a good rate here so might have to take a cut if i got another.

The project is 8 months here, i suspect the workload will pick up.

Comment

I'd guess there will be plenty of bugs to fix later on.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I thought you were ignoring me?

Comment

Ever done this?

Have you reviewed the requirement, are there any open issues?
            How much unit testing have you done?
            Have you automated it?
            Have you run a code coverage tool?

I have never been on a project where there were no issues on the requirement.
            Document any assumptions you have made and get someone to sign them off.

Use the time to make sure you have covered your ass.
            HTH
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Ever done this?

Personally I think working slowly without telling your client is very unprofessional. I will get flamed for that but that is my take. You have to look at the situation and ask yourself if they really will get rid of you? What happens if the testers pick up? I would highlight the issue to the client so he can deal with the testers and get you two free to work at normal pace. Doing less than you can is more likely to get you walked than see a contract out IMO.

The other option is to do the work better than the other tester then put a business case to the client to bin him and not you. Attack is the best form of defense.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Pathetic behavior. Do you not hope for something more from life and your career?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Personally I think working slowly without telling your client is very unprofessional. I will get flamed for that but that is my take. You have to look at the situation and ask yourself if they really will get rid of you? What happens if the testers pick up? I would highlight the issue to the client so he can deal with the testers and get you two free to work at normal pace. Doing less than you can is more likely to get you walked than see a contract out IMO.

The other option is to do the work better than the other tester then put a business case to the client to bin him and not you. Attack is the best form of defense.
                  What i will probably do is spend the time doing productive things for the project. Such as increasing the code coverage of the unit tests which is currently pretty dismal and should prove useful in the future.

The tester i have found to be pretty tulipe, in fairness he's had to write a lot of baseline test-cases, but he asks the dumbest questions and is generally slow as tulip. The PM is detecting this but he's pretty laissez-faire so we'll see what happens.

Comment

Ever done this?
                    No because:

1. I have morals
                    2. I have professional pride
                    3. I'm not a thief. Gaining money by deception is not my bag.

Cheers for adding to the ever growing feeling that British contractors are lazy and overpriced , but as long as you're gaining hey?

Comment

Working...
                    X