• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B

Anyone know anything about getting stuff made in China?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Anyone know anything about getting stuff made in China?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Is it feasible to do it just from CAD drawings and so on? How good is their English likely to be? Are there major cultural issues?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

What would you like to know?

My mates dad has an electronics firm who make small compnents, they outsource to china and (strangely the same mate) has a sister who works for freedom jewelry (supply topshop etc) and she is responsible for visiting market stalls in china/india, stealing peoples ideas and getting it made cheaply in China.

May be able to provide some assistance.

Comment

Is it feasible to do it just from CAD drawings and so on? How good is their English likely to be? Are there major cultural issues?
          If you can be a little bit more specific. What do you want making?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            If you can be a little bit more specific. What do you want making?
            Bits of computer. Not the especially complicated bits.

Comment

I did a bit of VB () coding for mates dad many years ago. They basically built small components, they design and prototype in UK, then send the drawings over to china for production. They set it up, create a sample run for approval and testing then start production. From what i remember, there is a piece of software they use (cant remember the same) that they just ftp the drawings to the firm in china and they make it,

Comment

Wow. If you're this descriptive with a manufacturer then you're fooked.

I'm heading out to the Canton Fair in October. The 112th Canton Fair 2012 Oct. China Guangzhou. It's on for three weeks, I'm just going for one of them. The friend I am going with already has some suppliers out there, but making gifts. I'm going for something 'sledge' related. I know a number of people who have come to this fair to find manufacturers. Another option is Alibaba.com which also lets you find suppliers/manufacturers. For other countries I have dealt with, the trade department at their Embassy is good.

To be honest, when dealing with China the quantities are going to be relatively high in what you decide to have made. If you're going to start small, then maybe an Eastern European country would be better. There are plenty of trade shows and I would recommend these first.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
                  I did a bit of VB () coding for mates dad many years ago. They basically built small components, they design and prototype in UK, then send the drawings over to china for production. They set it up, create a sample run for approval and testing then start production. From what i remember, there is a piece of software they use (cant remember the same) that they just ftp the drawings to the firm in china and they make it,
                  Sounds ideal.

I need to make some prototypes first I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post

From what i remember, there is a piece of software they use (cant remember the same) that they just ftp the drawings to the firm in china and they make it,
                    AutoCAD perhaps?
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X