• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

weekly commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weekly commute

I think the worst thing about a weekly international commute isn't the time it takes or the getting up at stupid o'clock on Monday mornings or being cramped in an uncomfortable environment for hours, or even being away from home all week. The worst thing is the sheer number of idiotic and perverse jobsworths you run into.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

En route, or when you arrive at client-site?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      En route, or when you arrive at client-site?
      At the client site I'm not bothered, I get paid for that. En route, I pay to be delivered into the evil power of miserable pithecanthropi whose only pleasure is in spoiling my day.

Comment

Airport staff?

Comment

Yeah - fancy insisting you have a passport? Its all rules these days.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Yeah - fancy insisting you have a passport? Its all rules these days.....
            Cheeky ****ers. Don't they know who you are and how important you are?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Boarding: have taken little shoulder bag out of main bag, so that I can get at passport and boarding pass, and so that when on board I can quickly put main bag up in rack, keeping little bag with valuables and book/kindle with me on seat. No: strict 1-bag policy, must put little bag inside. Then on board, start taking little bag back out again. No: please move in out of the aisle. Yes, well I'm here taking stuff out of my bag before placing in in the overhead rack just because your colleague outside insisted that I put it in there in the first place.

That's one of my regular weekly gripes, but there are variable jobsworthings too. Like this morning on Dutch railways when I just managed to leap on to a train before the doors were about to close. A Dutch railway official held the door open and insisted that I get off the train, because I had boarded it after the whistle blew, and the whistle means that you are not allowed to get on any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                Boarding: have taken little shoulder bag out of main bag, so that I can get at passport and boarding pass, and so that when on board I can quickly put main bag up in rack, keeping little bag with valuables and book/kindle with me on seat. No: strict 1-bag policy, must put little bag inside. Then on board, start taking little bag back out again. No: please move in out of the aisle. Yes, well I'm here taking stuff out of my bag before placing in in the overhead rack just because your colleague outside insisted that I put it in there in the first place.

That's one of my regular weekly gripes, but there are variable jobsworthings too. Like this morning on Dutch railways when I just managed to leap on to a train before the doors were about to close. A Dutch railway official held the door open and insisted that I get off the train, because I had boarded it after the whistle blew, and the whistle means that you are not allowed to get on any more.
                At lease your working in the Neatherlands. Hit Abraxas after work today for some 'Tea and Cake' that should take the stress out of things

Comment

The trick is to take the little bag out of the big bag once you pass the idiotic staff at the gate on the way to the aircraft.

It always annoys them on the UK side that you can fit your little bag into your big bag cos then they can't charge you more money.

Get your arse there earlier.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
                    At lease your working in the Neatherlands. Hit Abraxas after work today for some 'Tea and Cake' that should take the stress out of things
                    Would that be a "coffee shop" in Amsterdam? I'm not in Amsterdam, and I don't smoke anyway (I just happen not to like it).

Comment

Working...
                    X