• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best warm country for early semi-retirement?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best warm country for early semi-retirement?

As promoted by Tim Ferris in the 4 hour work week, I've been working on setting up a business with my other half and at some point soon expect to be able to spend 6 months working and 6 months not. Which gives me the ability to become ex-pat and avoid paying stupid amounts of UK taxes. The business can be based anywhere as it's a virtual business.

Given that I want somewhere warm, and have the UK still visitable for the odd contract then where is a good place to live? Ideally less than 5/6 hours away to come back and do a contract as a "cash funds top up". So European med, northern and west coastal Africa seem about right.

Not worried if it's 3rd world, if you've got money there's still doctors and shopping malls.

Specific requirements... decent internet connection speeds - i.e mbit/s not kbits.

I'd also like to be able to sail a yacht [which I don't own yet] up and down. Actually - this is another part of the plan, sail it up to UK in summer and rent it out for "self drive" charters, then back down in winter and do "guided charters", with a skipper and cook. So marinas and lack of priates would be advantagous. (I have land in Kenya but wouldn't take a boat anywhere near it).

So what's Libya like? I bet prices are down a bit at the mo.

I hear Croatia is cheap, and very pretty.

Gambia has loads of British ex-pats, but maybe a bit small.

Canaries - probably too small and overflowing with ex-pats. (I like a few, but not too many Brits around, i,e maybe someone a few streets away across town, not a street full of them).

Senegal, no idea - I speak a bit of French though.

Morocco seems a bit dry for my liking - have flown over it a few times. Also Didn't they move the the Paris-Dakar to south america because of Bandits there?

Any suggestions to places that people have been on hols and thought ... oh, this is a nice place to live?
    Signed sealed and delivered.

Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    As promoted by Tim Ferris in the 4 hour work week, I've been working on setting up a business with my other half and at some point soon expect to be able to spend 6 months working and 6 months not. Which gives me the ability to become ex-pat and avoid paying stupid amounts of UK taxes. The business can be based anywhere as it's a virtual business.

Given that I want somewhere warm, and have the UK still visitable for the odd contract then where is a good place to live? Ideally less than 5/6 hours away to come back and do a contract as a "cash funds top up". So European med, northern and west coastal Africa seem about right.

Not worried if it's 3rd world, if you've got money there's still doctors and shopping malls.

Specific requirements... decent internet connection speeds - i.e mbit/s not kbits.

I'd also like to be able to sail a yacht [which I don't own yet] up and down. Actually - this is another part of the plan, sail it up to UK in summer and rent it out for "self drive" charters, then back down in winter and do "guided charters", with a skipper and cook. So marinas and lack of priates would be advantagous. (I have land in Kenya but wouldn't take a boat anywhere near it).

So what's Libya like? I bet prices are down a bit at the mo.

I hear Croatia is cheap, and very pretty.

Gambia has loads of British ex-pats, but maybe a bit small.

Canaries - probably too small and overflowing with ex-pats. (I like a few, but not too many Brits around, i,e maybe someone a few streets away across town, not a street full of them).

Senegal, no idea - I speak a bit of French though.

Morocco seems a bit dry for my liking - have flown over it a few times. Also Didn't they move the the Paris-Dakar to south america because of Bandits there?

Any suggestions to places that people have been on hols and thought ... oh, this is a nice place to live?
    Keep your cash and wait until the Euro collapses. Then take your pick. Greece?
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
      Keep your cash and wait until the Euro collapses. Then take your pick. Greece?
      That's not a bad plan - im in no rush. Euro might end up in the situation the US had where you can get Florida properties 10 for $100k (i.e $10k each) if you buy a bunch of foreclosures as a batch.

I'm jumping the gun and presuming this business will fly. LOL. Really looking for where to book my next "holiday" as a reccie.

Comment

North west Mallorca. But then only cos I is cerveza'd up !
        Salut!
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I have a similar 'winding down into retirement' plan which involves spending an increasing proportion of each year on the lovely island of Menorca, which I think ticks a lot of your boxes, warm, marinas (mooring fees are a bit steep), not too much of an ex-pat problem - in fact the locals are well-disposed to Brits because we used to run the place, and built them some nice roads and because we helped them out at the end of the Spanish Civil war, it is the quietest of the Balearics, the whole island is a 'Biosphere Reserve' and they have sensible planning laws about high rise and preserving the fabulous beaches.

But then I have friends out there who take me scuba-diving.....
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Panama. Seriously worth looking into if you have a canoe.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Beirut was a lovely place, back in the 50s & 60s.

Avoid Africa.

Too many hu-man adapted parasites.
              I've learned to deal with them - learn enough of the local language to say "I'm not a tourist and I haven't come here to buy anything today". then they'll bugger off and hassle someone who feels worried enough that when a dark skinned man gets near them they will give them £1 to go away.

I've made friends with a market traders who wil haggle the back end off you, but eventually give up and let you have something for 1/3 their initial price. One guy even took me for a beer after I bought a load of hand printed oils (not works of art but craft items). I obviously still paid too much, despite me being happy with the price. LOL.

I guess I'm one of those types that like the human madness of places like Mombasa (occassionally). But prefer the quietness of wild countryside. What I can't stand in most cities is traffic. Siting in a car going nowhere. Especially when it's hot and the car you are in has no A/C.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                I have a similar 'winding down into retirement' plan which involves spending an increasing proportion of each year on the lovely island of Menorca, which I think ticks a lot of your boxes, warm, marinas (mooring fees are a bit steep), not too much of an ex-pat problem - in fact the locals are well-disposed to Brits because we used to run the place, and built them some nice roads and because we helped them out at the end of the Spanish Civil war, it is the quietest of the Balearics, the whole island is a 'Biosphere Reserve' and they have sensible planning laws about high rise and preserving the fabulous beaches.

But then I have friends out there who take me scuba-diving.....
                Now I've been to Menorca and thought it was lovely, but... I think I'd feel couped up. It would be like living in an area smaller than the west midlands, obviously a lot prettier and less people, but still nowhere to spend all those extra hours. My other must have accessory is going to be building an overland camper based on an ex-military 4x4 7.5 tonne truck. Even as an eco worrier I can justify it as when compared to the cost of using a house in the UK 6 months a year over winter, as it's emissions will be tiny. Most of the time it will be parked and I'll be cycling so I don't keel over when I reach my 50's :-)

Comment

Point taken, cycling figures in my plans also, the place being flattish with good lightly trafficked roads. And if I get claustraphobic I can always go exploring under the waves ....
                  My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Treviso Italy.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                    X