• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paternity Leave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paternity Leave

Just been speaking to one of the permies here.

"So i hear you're taking paternity leave soon.... blah blah blah"

It's not paternity leave, i'm having a bit of a break.

Didn't want to go through the rigmoral of trying to explain differences between contractor and employee, so i'm having a rant here instead.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

I refer to it as a paternity break
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
      i'm having a bit of a break.
      More like you are beginning your nervous breakdown. kids will push you to your limit - and just a little bit beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Kingcook likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          More like you are beginning your nervous breakdown. kids will push you to your limit - and just a little bit beyond.
          I just need to find a Mon-Fri commute for my next contract so I get a break

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I refer to returning from paternity leave as a work break.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

But, on the upside, they'll only push you beyond your limits for roughly 20 years, so it's not all bad news
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

You are entitled to paternity leave, ask your accountant.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

My wife is at that stage but then she works part time for a pittance and spends her/our free time doing non billable work at home.

Women are weird.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    You are entitled to paternity leave, ask your accountant.
                    Good thinking, but a quick check on the direct.gov.uk website shows that this may not be worth the effort:

Ordinary Statutory Paternity Pay

(£135/wk for 2 weeks)

Comment

Working...
                    X