• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what happened to free speech

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Channel 4 cancels Islam documentary screening after presenter threatened - Telegraph

why does this country put up with this?

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    What do you want to see done about it, beyond letting the police investigate and bring charges if possible?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

What's free speech got to do with it? Free speech means they can choose to air the program if they want to. They don't want to.

Would you prefer they aired it and the guy got attacked?

edit: I forgot to add
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        What's free speech got to do with it? Free speech means they can choose to air the program if they want to. They don't want to.

Would you prefer they aired it and the guy got attacked?
        WHS; it looks to me more like Channel 4 have decided to reschedule to protect their presenter, which seems to me to be the only responsible thing to do in the circumstances. If you're being threatened while doing your work, you can expect your employer or clientco to try and help. In the meantime I hope the police will take this seriously and put real effort into catching the people who've threatened him.

Comment

Because we are in the appeasement stage, similar to our handling of the Nazis before WW2.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            Because we are in the appeasement stage, similar to our handling of the Nazis before WW2.
            Appeasing whom?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Appeasing whom?
              Hmmm who could it be Mich? Who objected to the screening and therefore could be appeased by its removal? I'll give you more clues if you cant work it out.

Comment

It's alive and well as evidenced by the fact a c0ck like you is allowed to post on CUK!

Comment

Hmmm who could it be Mich? Who objected to the screening and therefore could be appeased by its removal? I'll give you more clues if you cant work it out.
                  Yes, you're going to say 'Muslims', but I'm guessing that there aren't lots and lots of muslims in the UK objecting to this, rather a small group of idiots and criminals who need to be sought out and charged. OK, so the Iranian government have a predictable opinion, but it's not as if they should really be taken very seriously. If lots of British muslims were about to kill this bloke, he'd be long gone; muslims see countless things every day that they could construe as offensive, but I suspect that the rather boring reality is that most of them would rather just get on with life and ignore that which they don't want to watch.

The ' Islamic Education and Research Academy ', which is a rather grand sounding title for some little club that probably doesn't represent many muslims has given a couple of opinions on the academic quality of the work, and other than that some fool's been sending scary twatter messages.

Another muslim involved is Mr Seyyed Hossein Nasr, a muslim philosopher who actually helped make the programme.

Comment

Can you explore the WW2 analogy for us further please. Give us your analysis of where we are and where we are heading.
                    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
                    X