• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coming back into IT - Your thoughts please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming back into IT - Your thoughts please

Hello all,
    I won't bore you with the details, but I've had a tough time (in personal life) over the last few years which led to me finishing work as an IT contractor in 2002. Since then I've done a number of things including warehouse work.

In all that time I've pined for the days of my IT career. I'm just don't enjoy doing anything else. Unfortunately my skills are not up to date. I'm an expert in VB6 and classic ASP, but have no commercial experience of .net. I've got strong SQL server skills and a couple of years experience with oracle 8. Besides that I'm familiar with HTML, XML, C, C++.

If you you would be so kind, I'd like to know what chances you think I've got of landing any contract work with my primary skills. I don't think my chances are good at all, but you are the ones out there doing the doing, I'm just sat at home wondering.

If I know I've got zero chance, I can stop messing around and try to get on with life in another direction. My problem is that I talk myself up a bit on things like this, and perhaps give myself false hope. So your input would be most useful.

Thanks in advance

Rob

For starters I'd suggest you get yourself into the "test please delete" thread and cheer yerself up a bit.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by RobWoz
      Hello all,
      I won't bore you with the details, but I've had a tough time (in personal life) over the last few years which led to me finishing work as an IT contractor in 2002. Since then I've done a number of things including warehouse work.

In all that time I've pined for the days of my IT career. I'm just don't enjoy doing anything else. Unfortunately my skills are not up to date. I'm an expert in VB6 and classic ASP, but have no commercial experience of .net. I've got strong SQL server skills and a couple of years experience with oracle 8. Besides that I'm familiar with HTML, XML, C, C++.

If you you would be so kind, I'd like to know what chances you think I've got of landing any contract work with my primary skills. I don't think my chances are good at all, but you are the ones out there doing the doing, I'm just sat at home wondering.

If I know I've got zero chance, I can stop messing around and try to get on with life in another direction. My problem is that I talk myself up a bit on things like this, and perhaps give myself false hope. So your input would be most useful.

Thanks in advance

Rob
      *Waits for someone to say 'get into .NET'*
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        For starters I'd suggest you get yourself into the "test please delete" thread and cheer yerself up a bit.
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Well if u have strong VB and SQL skills u should be ok. Agencies won't like the fact you've been out of the industry for a few years, so u might have to b/sh*t a bit. I think if you told them you worked in a warehouse they may not take you too seriously. You could say you were travelling for a few years or something like that. Also you could start out with a low paying contract/perm job somthing to put down on your CV then go for something that pays a bit better. What personal problems did you have? This forum is like one big happy family so your problems are our problems (except financial).If you can't tell us how can we trust you?

Comment

I reckon he's a lifer out on early release.

Comment

www.jobserve.com

Just in case you didn't know already

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black.
                ...Agencies won't like the fact you've been out of the industry for a few years, so u might have to b/sh*t a bit... ...What personal problems did you have? This forum is like one big happy family so your problems are our problems (except financial).If you can't tell us how can we trust you?
                Thanks Joe! Yes, I've already added a bit of bull to my CV for that very purpose. I've done a few bits 'n' pieces for a friend who has an engineering business and he's Ok about me using him as a ref and so on. So in short I think I can get away with the ruse that I've been working for him for the last 12 months doing VB6 and SQL.

What personal problems? ...er, all of them I think: loss of career, house, marriage for three; I started a business with a colleague which went pete tong is another. Like I said, I don't want to bore. It bores me just thinking about it. I'm pretty upbeat most of the time. My kids are happy, which is the only thing really important to me. The career thing comes in second.

Nope! I'm not a lifer. It just feels like it.

Rob

Comment

As the most sensible person on this forum I would advise you to just put out your CV and wait for any responses.

You havent chosen a good time , people are on holiday or at the World Cup so there is more chance your going to have to wait for someone to get back before your CV gets looked at.

Put out about 6 or 7 CV's to various jobs on Job Serve and make sure the CV is perfect.

Then sit back and wait for an agent to call , dont be too agressive on the rate they are getting hammered at the moment , but dont go below your budget + 10 percent.

By the way dont be tempted to go into a permy IT job , you will just hate the crap wages and contractors will come over and "happy slap" you now and again.

Comment

Originally posted by RobWoz
                    Thanks Joe! Yes, I've already added a bit of bull to my CV for that very purpose. I've done a few bits 'n' pieces for a friend who has an engineering business and he's Ok about me using him as a ref and so on. So in short I think I can get away with the ruse that I've been working for him for the last 12 months doing VB6 and SQL.

What personal problems? ...er, all of them I think: loss of career, house, marriage for three; I started a business with a colleague which went pete tong is another. Like I said, I don't want to bore. It bores me just thinking about it. I'm pretty upbeat most of the time. My kids are happy, which is the only thing really important to me. The career thing comes in second.

Nope! I'm not a lifer. It just feels like it.

Rob
                    Cool good luck with it mate and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Working...
                    X