• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did we do this about pensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did we do this about pensions

The information below about the uk is bad, but I think it's a lot worse in the UK, because if you look at the story about Ireland with population of 4.5 million they are short €324bn. The UK with a population of 62 million is short less? Sorry I don't buy it.

State will face €324bn shortfall over pensions
    State will face €324bn shortfall over pensions - The Irish Times - Wed, Sep 12, 2012

Deficit in UK pension schemes widens to a record £312.1 billion
    Deficit in UK pension schemes widens to a record £312.1 billion - Business News - Business - The Independent

Ros Altmann, director general of Saga, said the situation is a result of the Bank of England's quantitative easing policy. QE is a disaster for company pension funds since the more the Bank prints new money to buy gilts, the worse pension deficits become
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    The information below about the uk is bad, but I think it's a lot worse in the UK, because if you look at the story about Ireland with population of 4.5 million they are short €324bn. The UK with a population of 62 million is short less? Sorry I don't buy it.

State will face €324bn shortfall over pensions - The Irish Times - Wed, Sep 12, 2012

Deficit in UK pension schemes widens to a record £312.1 billion - Business News - Business - The Independent
    If you saw the terms of those guaranteed irish pension you would understand why ireland is in a worse position than the UK.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      From what I can see from this article, the UK figure is only for final salary pension schemes.

It doesn't include private pension or the state pension liabilities, which I'd guess will come to a lot more.

Comment

This is one of the reasons I am giving up my gold plated CS pension and transferring it into a SIPP, I don't trust the next 25 years of governments not to screw it up, at best they will push back the age I can take it, and worst, I dare not think!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          If you saw the terms of those guaranteed irish pension you would understand why ireland is in a worse position than the UK.
          To get a full pension in ireland you only have to contrib 10 years (I think) and they get ~ 250/week.

Their version of dole was 250/week for 1 year. Not quite the same as £63/week for 6months

Comment

Demographics and massive public sector resistance is making this worse before it gets better.
            Private sector has reacted to this in most cases, removing FS schemes for new entrants and diluting existing ones. Even this has been a late reaction.
            Public sector have dug in hard and no gov has been able to do much or knows they can kick it down the road.
            Retirement ages will drift upwards I think and as ever you need to make your own provision or pay the price later !

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
              To get a full pension in ireland you only have to contrib 10 years (I think) and they get ~ 250/week.

Their version of dole was 250/week for 1 year. Not quite the same as £63/week for 6months
              I think the current government intends to change that.

But if you say the Irish government is paying out 6 times per person more than the UK.
              That's 4.5 x 6 = 27 million UK

The sum still don't add up. I think DS is correct when pension figures are given in the UK only a sector is given, the total figure is not given.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

They can always import millions of Nigerians to pay for their pensions.

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
                  They can always import millions of Nigerians to pay for their pensions.
                  Sorry to tell you, but the email you got from the Nigerian oil company director is not true. He will not be paying $8 million into your bank account.

HTH
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                  X